My Propane Engine Build

GONOVRIT

blue collar brotherhood
I'm in the middle of building my 22r and have some ques. for you guys running propane, not sure if you can help but here goes;
Do I have to/need to run forged pistons with this engine running propane?
Is there anything wrong with breaking this engine in on propane?
Who gathered there own stuff and who bought there kit from a seller?
I have 2 friends that are forklift mechanics and I'm pretty sure they can easily get me whatever I need so I'll probably go that route but I was just wandering who all did what.
Thanx in advance,.....Josh

GONOVRIT said:
I'm in the middle of building my 22r and have some ques. for you guys running propane, not sure if you can help but here goes;
Do I have to/need to run forged pistons with this engine running propane?
Is there anything wrong with breaking this engine in on propane?
Who gathered there own stuff and who bought there kit from a seller?
I have 2 friends that are forklift mechanics and I'm pretty sure they can easily get me whatever I need so I'll probably go that route but I was just wandering who all did what.
Thanx in advance,.....Josh

-dont need forged(need forged to hit the n2o though). Forged rods will be nice if you expect to see higher rpm's.
-breaking in, nothing special just run a single weight 30 for break in
-I gathered my pane setup from ebay, impco 425, vff30, model e, hoses and fittings locally

mine whole shebang will be for sale soon ;)

I did get forged rods and a bunch of other "upgrades" I'll list later. Thanx for the reply. I'm alittle more at ease now:smokin: I'm gonna try and get this put together kinda quickly since a knowledgeable friend will be in town soon.

The biggest thing I think you need( and I haven't yet) is running your head(s in my case) is stainless steel valves. This is due to the higher exaust temps from advanced timing. Hardened seats if yours isn't already. Good luck, it isn't rocket science.

Studnuts, why you getting rid of yours???

upnover said:
This is due to the higher exaust temps from advanced timing.

If ya wanna get technical, it's more because of the higher octane = slower, longer burn.. :flipoff2:

You are going to have to keep this thread alive as you do the engine build up. I am looking at using a 'pane 22r for a light weight trail rig in the near future and would love to watch it come together for you.

Are you planning on using the smaller mixers and stuff from a fork lift since you are putting this on a 4cyl and they run 4cyl in them? Everyone else seems to run larger mixers, but they are putting them on v8s so the flow is needed.

Rich said:
If ya wanna get technical, it's more because of the higher octane = slower, longer burn.. :flipoff2:

Well,........if you do want to get technical
It's because of both. Advancing the timing allows for the spark to ignite the fuel earlier to allow for the longer burn of the higher octane fuel. They play hand in hand. It's one of those things like yellow and blue make green, but so does blue and yellow.

I got ss valves and they're bigger, a 261 crawler cam, dbl row timing chain w/metal guides, and forged rods-pistons are 20 over. I haven't figured out which header or mixer i'm gonna use yet but I'll planning on using the smaller mixer.I got my kit from engnbldr.com, it ran me like $570. I haven't gotten the bill for the machining yet as they still have some stuff to do.
Yeah I know this is not rocket science but anything deeper than a timing chain or head gasket is beyond me, I have friends for that and I'm slowly learning from them. ;) I've always been better at breaking and blowing stuff up:flipoff2:

Hey Josh how bout some pics of all the shiny new parts befor you put everthing together. I love pics.:beer: :beer: :beer:

I plan on it! Still waiting on my rods:mad: I want to take it all to Jungle at one time.

Back