My XJ's new 4.7L

I just realized you were on jeepstrokers too. We were trying to figure out how you got a deck height of .008 with the rod/stock piston combo. What happened to that?

Also, either you mistyped the number above or there was something seriously wrong with that block. The stock deck clearance is .021". So you're deck clearance is over double what it was stock. "The experts" say you should shoot for a quench between .040" and .050". With the Mopar head gasket yours is slated to be ~ .101" (.055" + .046").

Is the Mopar head gasket the same as the Victor Reniz? If so its actually thinner than that @ ~ .038". Thats the HG we used in my build.
I had measured it awhile ago and the number sounded right in my head I did write it down but could not find it, I though I still had a old headgasket laying around but I didn't. Victor Reniz makes most of the Mopar gaskets. The .008 was supposed to be .080(still had the paper I wrote it on in my laptop bag) the rod bearings I used the ones that were on the rod when I disassembled the 4.2 and they were really worn.

My friend Sidney's 4.6 had the pistons further down the bore then mine are he had used his 93 block. A stock 4.0L in a 01 XJ measured .221.

Quick up date my parts dept manager tells me it will be at least a few more weeks till I get my camshaft.

Today I told him to call who ever at Mopar and cancel the order for it I broke down and ordered a Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4 X425H cam and lift set. I will have it on Monday or Tuesday hoping for Monday.

One of the guys in our bodyshop is going to be pulling the frame on my Grand Cherokee tomorrow and I'm going parts shopping for it, my shopping list is to find a Ford Explorer 8.8, headlight mounting panel, turnsignal, side marker light, EVAP canister and front bumper(till I build a real one later)

I'm hoping I'm done early so I can start preping the axle to install it in the Grand, then after work on Saturday drop the rear axle out of the Grand and cut the OE brackets off and weld them on the 8.8. Fun weekend planned.

Rob, if you dont mind after market body parts try carolina auto supply. They are in charlotte. We got all the front end parts for my friends grand after he hit a dear for really cheap. They fit really well also. You can also try certifit in charlotte. Same type of place. I know that carolinas auto supply will deliver to buisnesses.

Thanks Mike, I had our bodyshop manager price the parts out through there vendors too, I'm trying to keep the ZJ on a tight budget. Not really too worried about the origin of the body parts as I see rocks and trees in it's future.

Ok finally started to make some progress on my stroker. I ordered a Comp Cams Extreme 4x4 cam and installed it after working all day I pulled the engine.
So here are some pics

On the lift getting it ready to yank the dead 4.0L out(anyone wanna buy it it did run a steal at $50)
aphotos_c.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1098600591090_1408891098_275354_888437_n.jpg

Stripping it before pulling it
aphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1098600631091_1408891098_275355_7193021_n.jpg

Getting hooked up
aphotos_e.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1098600671092_1408891098_275356_8343404_n.jpg

Something is missing
aphotos_f.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1098600711093_1408891098_275357_1750229_n.jpg

Old faithful hanging and the new 4.7 on the stand one of these days I will remember to remove the 4x4 cross tag from my grill
aphotos_g.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1098600791095_1408891098_275358_4980401_n.jpg

going to go and finish the swap to day and hopefully I can get a fuel pressure regulator today also I guess it just started to leak.

OK when swapping to the 99 and later intake on a pre-96 4.slo you need a new drivebelt. Remove the idler pulley next to the alternator and route the belt like a 96 and later XJ. The belt will still be too short because the spacing of the AC compressor mounting bracket is different on the later ones the compressor is mounted closer to the engine. So the belt I used is Gates # K060938 I found it by taking my old belt and measuring how much longer it was compared to how long I needed it, it is about 1/2-1" too short but I was able to get in on the pulleys.

Then it was onto the vacuum hoses while I was at the parts store I picked up a few vacuum tee's and hose to extend the vacuum hoses.

Had to extend the intake air temp sensor wires also no big deal some solder, wire and heat shrink done in about 10 minutes.

Here is the result. Cranked it over and it wouldn't start, I didn't realize how bad my distributor cap had corroded while sitting, OK had another cap and I just swapped it out still cranks and will not start. I pulled the distributor and flipped it 180* and it fired right up.

YEAH it runs again.

Home again
aphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1099323889172_1408891098_277235_2284051_n.jpg

Engine in daylight, still missing a breather tube and some small things need to be buttoned up.
aphotos_e.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs022.snc1_2645_1099323929173_1408891098_277236_4357353_n.jpg

Sweet! Hows the stroker running? Did you get any pinging and what grade gas?

What ended up being the specs on the stroker? CR and quench?

Sweet! Hows the stroker running? Did you get any pinging and what grade gas?

What ended up being the specs on the stroker? CR and quench?
Idles great, if I get into the throttle anything past 1/4 and it is trying to spin the tires but then again my tires are worn out and it is raining.

Compression with the cam is 9.8:1 I don't remember the quench. I could get on it in the rain to see if there is any pinging I'm sure there will be since it is full of 87 octane which is what I usually run in everything. I'm sure I'm going to have to start running 91 or 93. I still need to get a set of injectors since the ones I was buying turned out to be a bad deal.

After I get the injectors I wanna have it dyno'd. I also wanna get a Jet power module or send my PCM to be re-programmed.

:alien:
Idles great, if I get into the throttle anything past 1/4 and it is trying to spin the tires but then again my tires are worn out and it is raining.

Compression with the cam is 9.8:1 I don't remember the quench. I could get on it in the rain to see if there is any pinging I'm sure there will be since it is full of 87 octane which is what I usually run in everything. I'm sure I'm going to have to start running 91 or 93. I still need to get a set of injectors since the ones I was buying turned out to be a bad deal.

After I get the injectors I wanna have it dyno'd. I also wanna get a Jet power module or send my PCM to be re-programmed.

What size injectors will ya need? Got plenty of Mustang 19 lb/hr one here...

:alien:
What size injectors will ya need? Got plenty of Mustang 19 lb/hr one here...
I need 24# or 27# injectors I have a set of 30# injectors(or atleast thats what I was told they flow) for a SRT-8 6.1L Hemi but they are too short for the Jeep fuel rail. For now I have the vacuum hose off the regulator to up the fuel pressure.

Nice build, how she run on the street? Do you take it on the interstate? Can't wait to see the Dyno on it.
So far it runs alot better then the 4.0L ever did since the day I bought my XJ. It was raining on my way home with it and also on my way to work this morning so I really don't know how it performs but so far it is a very good improvement.

I need to get my XJ re-registered soon.

I need 24# or 27# injectors I have a set of 30# injectors(or atleast thats what I was told they flow) for a SRT-8 6.1L Hemi but they are too short for the Jeep fuel rail. For now I have the vacuum hose off the regulator to up the fuel pressure.

Contact my brother in law, Chris at www.poweraddersolutions.com.

He's a dealer for multiple companies that offer any sort of injector. He runs 96'ers on his personal car.

He's in Raleigh, so he can get your parts quick.

Contact my brother in law, Chris at www.poweraddersolutions.com.
He's a dealer for multiple companies that offer any sort of injector. He runs 96'ers on his personal car.
He's in Raleigh, so he can get your parts quick.
Thanks man. If my friend doesn't change his injectors like he told me he is thinking I'll give him a call.

I miss my Stangs I noticed your sig says you have a 93, I had a 91 my race car twin turbo'd 347 and a 93 Convertible(white edition) 351 with a Paxton Novi 2000.

You had a chance to drive it any more? I'm still wondering how it runs and what your final compression/quench numbers were. Everyone I talked to had me freaked out about 0 decking the block for the tight quench or not running a CR over 9.25:1. According to "them" yours should ping like crazy, I just wanna know if they had me freaked out for nothing...

You had a chance to drive it any more? I'm still wondering how it runs and what your final compression/quench numbers were. Everyone I talked to had me freaked out about 0 decking the block for the tight quench or not running a CR over 9.25:1. According to "them" yours should ping like crazy, I just wanna know if they had me freaked out for nothing...
No pinging at this time, and it still had a 1/4 tank of good old 87 in it. Just filled yesterday but right now it is parked since my registration has been revoked due to a simple mistake on my and my wife's part so I'll be able to drive it again after April 16th stupid damn law.

I do have a set of 27lbs/hr injectors coming for it. I'm going to bring it for a dyno run once it is registered again and have the bigger injectors installed.

The real test will be if it still overheats like the old engine did when wheeling or when hot out. My exhaust temperature has seemed to go down from the 700* temps I was getting before.

I did finally remember to get the breather tube hooked up to the air box.

Back