Narrowed 9" questions...

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Got a line on a couple of narrowed (56" WMS-WMS) Ford 9" housings...
Front:
Currie front housing w/ D44 inner C's
Moser inner alloys
No outer components
Rear:
Professionally shortened by shop in GA (assume the correct jigs were used, the owner believes so)
"Big Bearing" ends
Moser alloys 5x5.5"
Disc brake brackets (For Waggy bolt on style calipers)
3rds:
Both 3.25 truck units with larger bearings & 31spline carriers
Guy built them to go under his NT width Jeep and bailed in favor of portals, but needs them gone for both $$ & space reasons. He says he has $1200 in them total. What's a fair asking price for this pair? (I have his price, but want to find out the concensus before I say :D)

Would still need outer knuckles & stubs, Ford spindles/hubs/rotors/lockouts (or slugs), 4 calipers, assorted bearings/seals, definite regear (think 4.56-4.88 range) and lockers (can they be welded up?)... what's parts likely to run piece milling it together from yards/used where able over time (ie. in no hurry)?
:beer:

Caver I have a set of knuckles for you. You would need to find a pair of GM 6 bolt spindles but you can run ford hubs and disks on the GM D44 spindle. When I did my disk swap new hubs and rotors where around $120 for the pair.
Also check E-bay for a bronco disk brake swap kit, I had about as much in parts and time running around to find all the little stuff I needed.

It would be hard welding the spiders up the spiders in a 9inch, but you can get a mini spool for cheap.

Sam(slim)

I wouldn't pay good money for anything that narrow.

sam(slim) said:
Caver I have a set of knuckles for you. You would need to find a pair of GM 6 bolt spindles but you can run ford hubs and disks on the GM D44 spindle. When I did my disk swap new hubs and rotors where around $120 for the pair.
Also check E-bay for a bronco disk brake swap kit, I had about as much in parts and time running around to find all the little stuff I needed.
It would be hard welding the spiders up the spiders in a 9inch, but you can get a mini spool for cheap.
Sam(slim)

Why GM spindles? Are they different from Ford spindles?

Seems like AA/AZ has F150 hubs & rotors for $50ish bucks/pair?

Still debating at this point... we'll see:beer:

I wouldn't pay more than $600 for them. If even that. You never know what kind of work the shop did. Plus they aren't complete. If they were complete, geared, and locked I would pay up to 2k with the right mounting points. Since they are basically just shells with parts of the shafts I wouldn't want to pay anymore than 50% of what he has in them. Shortening a 9 isn't supposed to be very tuff. If it was 60 knuckles I would also be willing to pay a little more.

If you get the F150 hubs go with the bendix, I could not find a cheap one at Advanced that was round enought for the lockouts to function correctly.

Oh and while at AA if this is the front you are talking about pick up the 79 Tbird large piston calipers. Awesome stopping power.

GM D44 disk brake spindles use the same 6 bolt mounting pattern as the Ford drum brake spindle. The Ford disk brake spindle uses 5 studs to mount to the steering knuckle. The extra set of Knuckles I have are from a ford with drum brakes.

Sam(slim)

Doesn't seem like the way to go to me. I'd buy regular axles with a larger WMS and a sawzall or angle grinder.

Caver Dave said:
*YOU* don't have Commando sheetmetal to keep the meats under either! :flipoff2:

And for that, I bow down and give thanks to the Cruiser gods. :flipoff2:

bigger lifts require wider axles anyway so if you have the axle beef for 35s and more lift the narrower axle may hurt you later. My buddy has Bronco axles that I think are too narrow for his 4.5 lift.

Back