Need a 22r mechanic around Raleigh-wilson area

MadcowRS

I have a 81 Toyota 22r rig but i just can not get it to run worth a crap. I know it has carb/fuel problems, but I want to take it to some one that knows these motors like the back of there hand because it might be something else like valves ect.. I hate taking a rig to a shop, but if anyone can point me to a Toyota guy that would be great. Even a member on here that wants to make some beer $$. It is a trail rig, I have a trailer and don't mind pulling it within a hr or so Wilson nc.
Thanks
Eric
919 608-1381

Attachments

• IMG_20130720_142834_078.jpg
    IMG_20130720_142834_078.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 281
I'm no machanic but i know 22r's pretty good there pretty simple let me know if I can help you at all

Send me some more details via PM and I'll call the local Toyota guru in Washington. He is a member here but doesn't get on much.

start with the simple stuff. Has it had a tune up recently? is the carb working properly/clean? Is your fuel filter clogged? this might save you a lot of time and money...

So it is very slow to start, when you get it running, it runs good at high rpms, if you let off it cuts off. Im pretty sure its flooding out, mb float stuck? I had a guy rebuild the carb about 2 years ago, he did a compression test 2 at 150, 1 at 130, 1 at 80. Yes I know that is not good, that's why I think it might be valves, could be bottom end. So im trying to decide if the motor is worth saving.. If so I'd love to run it on propane. Just hate to spend 900 on a bad motor. Or spend a few 100 on a Webber? Lots of variables, thats why I'm looking for an expert. Thanks for the help!

It's pretty easy to do a lot yourself with minimal tools.

First do a compression test your self and note the findings.

Typically no cylinder should be 15% different from another and 90 psi is usually the baseline for minimum compression..

Next do a leak down test on each cylinder. This will direct you as to where and why your compression may be low if it is.

No need to work on the ignition or fuel system until these tests are done.

If your compression is ok, the Next simple check is to pull a spark plug wire off the plug and use a spark checker to test the ignition.

This will look like a bolt in a plastic housing with a scale. You extend the tool to simulate the plug gap and check the strength of the spark.

If you have spark, then check the timing. If spark is present and timed correctly go to the fuel.

This will be the most tedious.

Check for correct fuel pressure.

Make sure the carb isn't corroded or gummed up. Newer ethanol blend fuel is havoc on older carbs and rubber fuel hoses.

Make sure the floats aren't sticking and are at correct heights.

I'm guessing the jets are correct for that motor, a Toyota expert would be able to guide you better on the specifics of that motor and carb.

Again guessing, typically there are several screws for adjusting the idle.

One for slow idle, one for fast idle, and one for idle mixture.

Most of the tools needed to do these tests can be had for pretty cheap in comparison to how valuable the information is.

If you note your findings and present all the data to a mechanic of needed it may save him time and you money.

I'm definitely no Toyota expert, but start with the simply things first.

Back