Need a belt or disc sander (found one!)

justjeepin86

Anyone near Winston have a belt or disc sander that i could borrow for a couple weeks? I'm building a stainless exhaust for my 71 and didn't realize how tight the joints needed to be.

I have a handheld belt sander that I'll try to use if no one has one.

Anyone near Winston have a belt or disc sander that i could borrow for a couple weeks? I'm building a stainless exhaust for my 71 and didn't realize how tight the joints needed to be.

I have a handheld belt sander that I'll try to use if no one has one.
@jeepcj3a has or had one for sale.

I have plenty of tools to sand the ends, but want to do it full width.
Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by “full width” but seems like a wire wheel would work even better for that purpose.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by “full width” but seems like a wire wheel would work even better for that purpose.
Sounds like he’s cut a piece of SS tube to use for exhaust and wants to sand the whole thing to create a solid plane

Exactly. The ends need to be dead true and flat to weld to each other.
Ah, I thought you meant for polishing it up. How are you cutting it? A good horizontal bandsaw should make a very straight cut, maybe better than kissing it on a belt sander.

Do you have a 4 to 5 inch orbital? Palm sander? Chuck it upside down in a vice. A random pattern flat style pad sander would work too. I entirely get what your after. Deviation of any sort makes the welding a bear for consistent beading. If your going through the effort are you gonna back purge? I've done some without. The purge is just as important I have found. The flow and heat stays way more consistent. Its stupidly more cumbersome and tedious to set up but makes the most difference. I have regrets of not doing it. It just gets more expensive to do it. I used to think the material was the cost prohibitive part......naw its the labor. I learned the hard way trying to feel comfortable in cost. Throw those feeling out if you or anyone else wants social media perfect. I finally came across some realistic time table arc shots........stupid slow done on the level I dream about. I was rushing everything.

Look into one of the Swag vertical stands for your portaband. I have one and it's really handy and doesn't take up much room.
Yeah, I've seen those and they are pretty killer. In this instance, I could still cut more crooked than I would like.

Do you have a 4 to 5 inch orbital? Palm sander? Chuck it upside down in a vice. A random pattern flat style pad sander would work too. I entirely get what your after. Deviation of any sort makes the welding a bear for consistent beading. If your going through the effort are you gonna back purge? I've done some without. The purge is just as important I have found. The flow and heat stays way more consistent. Its stupidly more cumbersome and tedious to set up but makes the most difference. I have regrets of not doing it. It just gets more expensive to do it. I used to think the material was the cost prohibitive part......naw its the labor. I learned the hard way trying to feel comfortable in cost. Throw those feeling out if you or anyone else wants social media perfect. I finally came across some realistic time table arc shots........stupid slow done on the level I dream about. I was rushing everything.

Yeah, I have some things that could work in a pinch. I'm concerned about the back purge as well. I bought some Solar Flux for the back side. I hoped that would do decent for the inside of the weld. I just can't imagine back purging a whole exhaust from the manifolds to the rear of a full size truck.

Yeah, I've seen those and they are pretty killer. In this instance, I could still cut more crooked than I would like.

Yeah, I have some things that could work in a pinch. I'm concerned about the back purge as well. I bought some Solar Flux for the back side. I hoped that would do decent for the inside of the weld. I just can't imagine back purging a whole exhaust from the manifolds to the rear of a full size truck.
I have had mixed results with the Solar Flux. If you get it on any of the weld edges it seems to impede the steady flow of the puddle. Modular portions are the key to making it near bearable. Outside that I wonder if perfect fitting swaged joints would weld out better with no purge. On a high end build the look is less desired but may be a good compromise.

IMG_20231108_144702154_HDR.jpg

All hidden under this hateful itchy wrap is swagged 3 inch sections. Ridiculously more simple to fit and run. No where near as sexy if it wasn't heat shielded.

Well, i just bought a small one off marketplace. We'll see if it helps me any, lol.
do share the results and feedback on said unit! I've been eyeballing some, need some motivation to spend

Played around some this evening before dinner.

I don't have a sanding disc for the sander yet, but took a few pieces to work to square up for practice.

I was struggling two days ago when i started. I had too small of a gas cup, and honestly, i think that was most of the problem. Having no gap really made it awesome though.

The Solar Flux actually left a shiny weld on the inside. I know it's much better than if i didn't do anything.

and i still suck at tig.

20231227_160907.jpg
20231227_160924.jpg
20231227_183911.jpg

Back