NEED HELP finding camshaft sensor for 8.1

992door

Got a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd with the 8.1 and the cam sensor is going bad. Well that sensor for this truck has been discontinued and I cannot find one anywhere. If you know of one for sale please let me know because as of now I have a 6500 pound paper weight.

Thanks

Part # 12575182 don't know but 12572656 may interchange with it if you know for sure please let me know

Is it the cam sensor or the crank sensor? I thought the previous thread was all about the crank sensor.

EDIT: LOL! Just saw where you posted on the Camaro5 thread :D I was just reading it, but he didn't say where he got it from!

This is the best luck I've had. Give it a try.

http://www.gmpartseast.com/parts/gm-12575182_sensor.html

Last edited:
Yea I know we took it somewhere to get it fixed I just did not have the time and he says it is the cam sensor. Kinda sucks. If the 12572656 will fit I have found 10 but other than that I have looked everywhere I know of and can't find anything

Link you posted they are out of stock and can't get them

Yep and does not have it and can't get it. The part #'s for it are

Pc340
213-1063
css227

And there are a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Where'd you get it from? It must be a closely guarded secret of the Free Masons or something....nobody ever tells :D

Sorry just saw this.
That motor has a few industrial uses as well. Ive got a handfl on the shelf...if anyone needs one ping me.

Ill throw a price up here in the AM

if i had a customer bring me his truck, and i say it needs a crank sensor, it's my job to ,make sure it really needs a crank sensor. if i then install said crank sensor, and it starts backfiring, it's my job to then find out why it's backfiring.

(meant cam sensor)

Last edited:
Well I don't know what to do. This is my situation. From start to now.
Bought the truck it ran great other than occasionally cutting off.
So I knew the crankshaft sensor was a problem on these trucks. So I decided to try and replace it and gave up after an hour or 2 of trying. did not put the bolt back in it because it broke cranked it up backed it out of the shop and it cut off.
Towed it to mechanic he got the sensor replaced and said it would not fire.
He determines it was not firing because of cam sensor. But I thought it will still fire without sensor plugged in. Because doesn't the crank sensor control fire and timing.
Replaced the cam sensor gets it to fire but says it backfires really bad.
Now he has determined that the motor needs to be pulled to adjust the crankshaft because that is why it is not running good.

This is my situation don't know what to do

he is fixing to bend you over bro. Do not let him pull the motor. In fact, go get your truck even if it has to be towed again and get it to a real shop that knows what the hell there doing. If he told you he needs to pull the motor to "adjust" the crankshaft then he is full of shit and about to take you to the bank. Sounds to me like you may have a "bad" new crank sensor and is throwing off the timing or injector pulse from the pcm. Needs to be hooked to a quality scanner or scope and checked properly by a good shop. These kind of shops piss me off because they give techs like myself a bad name and a reason for people to hate us. Not all shops are this way but you need to find one near you that has good equipment and a reputable name and stick with them if you get good honest service from them but where your truck is now is not that place buddy. Good luck!

Yea that is what my first thought was when I heard that. But it is a company truck and I don't have the final say when it comes to what happens to the truck my boss does. I can only try to point him in the right direction.

Yea you are right it is the shady ones that give everyone a bad rep. It is getting to a point where it is hard to trust anyone that you don't know.

Back