Need info on Diesel Exhaust Temp

Rob said:
I'm stock Chase, and I still watch my EGT's.

You're squeezing 300hp out of a stock engine, too. The newer CTD's run warm in stock form as well.

I doubt he'll have issues with EGT.

greg slade said:
too much boost, not enuff RPMs=high EGT
QUOTE]

So the higher the RPMs the lower the exhaust temp? Does that mean installing a set of 3k gov springs in my 12 valve will actually make it run cooler? I was holding off installing my set because I thought it would run hotter....

rpms

That is not a given. I have found my temp will go higher if I get above 2500, the 12v likes to pull at 2000-2500. I run 3:54's so I rarely get above 2250.

General... You REALLY need to tell us more about your truck if you want a qualified opinion. year, trans, gearing, mods, etc... all affect the 12 valve Dodge.

i.e.
'96-98 5-speeds need the GSK less than auto's...
4.10 gears drive very different from 3.54's.

Larry is dead on though.. 2500+ does start to get warm, especially if your timing is not advanced. For the msot part though, GSK's will not affect your EGT's in normal operating conditions.. (i.e. 1500-2500rpm)

If anything, on my '98 auto, the GSK made it so I could take 3rd gear to 2400 before shifting to O/D, so the RPM's do not drop so low on the shift, so it has helped EGT's.

But if all you're getting is 1000° pre-turbo, you've got nothing to worry about. You're underfueled. ;)

Dead

Oh, that was dead on. I will qualify it for my truck more better.

97 12v 4x4 5spd, 3:54 gear with a US Gear Overdrive. I can split gears, up and down, so I never have to get out of the 2000-2250 range. My max temp at 17000lbs up Black Mtn in 5th gear will be 1200-1250. I can't run WOT, can't stay in the curves.

Rich said:
General... You REALLY need to tell us more about your truck if you want a qualified opinion. year, trans, gearing, mods, etc... all affect the
Heres what I know. Its a 1997 Ram 3500 12V, Auto Trans, I beleive its 4.10 gears. I just got it friday so I havent had time to take it all apart and see what is done to it. Previous owner installed an ats TC, shift kit, "bigger injectors"..he couldnt tell me what brand or size, a "ground fuel plate" once again couldnt tell me any details, and had the pump moved forward and turned up slightly. Its also got a K&N and a 4 inch exhaust.

After I get into it and find out al the details Ill start a seperte post and get yalls opinion on the best ways to tune it. Im pretty green at getting power out of a diesel so any input would be much apreciated.

Back