Need Knuckles drilled and Tapped

Riddle

Armed Infidel
I need my D44 flat top drilled and tapped for High steer in the triad area.

HELP!!!!

Just checked with them and they said $100 plus shipping!
Has prices gone up that high?!?!

Last time I checked things like Brigeports and Lathes weren't real cheap. Then there is that whole "Labor" thing, not to mention overhead! My dry cleaner charges $30 to press a shirt these days! $100 to machine/drill/tap/ship a knuckle doesn't seem so bad:cool:

I will do it with my grinder & hand drill for $99 plus shipping.:flipoff2:

I just need one side done and ecgs said 100 for one side so it's half the price, and I checked pirate and they have good reviews

Sure would be nice to support local but its hard for some of us to do that on a budget. When there is a $50 difference that's $50 that can be put somewhere else in the project. It sucks but it happens. Even the shops would do the same in situation. $50 cheaper on the same product, what would you do?

How the hell are they making any money at $50 with shipping included? Shipping alone on a knuckle will probably be about $30.

So also figure that shipping cost to them into your $50.

They are not making much. They are probably hoping you will get your steering parts from them when purchasing this service.

So what happens when "Cut Throat" drills the knuckles out wrong and then you're stuck with a cheap labor price, poor quality machine work and no recourse?! At least local, you will have someone to talk to and IF something were to go wrong, they'll be able to make it right. I had my Dana 44 drilled and tapped at Tarheel 4wd a while back and they turned out great. Let a local shop know what price you were quoted and I'm sure someone will be willing to work on the price. They still may not be that cheap, but it's worth it to pay a quality shop when it comes to machine work. Your dana 44 knuckle is VERY important to say the least.

My 2 cents. And don't forget that you have to ship the knuckle to them so that's at least the $13 you said. Now you're at $63. I'm sure someone local will do it for about that price or a little more. And in most cases when building a 4wd, it saves you money to spend a little more here and there.

-Chad

So what happens when "Cut Throat" drills the knuckles out wrong and then you're stuck with a cheap labor price, poor quality machine work and no recourse?! At least local, you will have someone to talk to and IF something were to go wrong, they'll be able to make it right. I had my Dana 44 drilled and tapped at Tarheel 4wd a while back and they turned out great. Let a local shop know what price you were quoted and I'm sure someone will be willing to work on the price. They still may not be that cheap, but it's worth it to pay a quality shop when it comes to machine work. Your dana 44 knuckle is VERY important to say the least.

My 2 cents. And don't forget that you have to ship the knuckle to them so that's at least the $13 you said. Now you're at $63. I'm sure someone local will do it for about that price or a little more. And in most cases when building a 4wd, it saves you money to spend a little more here and there.

-Chad

thats all hypthetical, that shop may do great work.. your post seems so angry, do you work at Tarheel 4wheel drive?

Local or not, a shop must remain competive to stay in business..

-Chad

The reason for this post was to find some one locally, and ECGS is not local so I would have to pay the same price shipping it there or Cutthroat, But its all good. Trust me I want it done locally. But I did find a NC guy to take care of it anyway, Jeepinmatt has got it covered.

Beautiful. Glad it worked out man!

Jeffb. Agreed. I'm not angry at all. No ties to any shops. I just didn't want business going out of the state for several bucks extra.

Carry on.

$100 is high for the market, however It is going to take every bit of two hours for us to do it. This is largely do to the fact that we do like 3 a year, typically for a in house build or someone local that needs a favor. If we did a 100 a year we would likely do it cheaper. Hopefully we did not leave a bad taste in your mouth for being high it is just not our specialty....... Standard ECGS Disclaimer: We have machine equipment and can machine most basic tasks related to axles, however we are Drivetrain warehouse, Drivetrian service facility, and custom axle builder. We are not a machine shop, we typically prototype all of our stuff in house and then send it out because it is cheaper for us to outsource machine work then do it internally.
I'm glad you found someone to help you, if you need highsteer arms, studs, cones and nuts we have them in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks, Chase @ECGS

It's all good, I understand why you are high on this, and I plan on ordering my gears from you when I'm ready. No sour taste here :beer:

For what it's worth I charge 50 bucks per knuckle. I have access to an Index mill any time I need it. I've done a bunch of them and have it down to about 35 minutes start to finish AND thats hand cranking.

For what it's worth I charge 50 bucks per knuckle. I have access to an Index mill any time I need it. I've done a bunch of them and have it down to about 35 minutes start to finish AND thats hand cranking.

Good to know, I'll be sending a buddy your way.

Back