Need my caster checked on my TJ

ShowroomShine

The Detailing Jeeper
I installed a spacer on the front of my TJ to level it out. This threw off my caster angle and is causing problems returning to zero after turning and a general "unsteady" feel while driving.

I have adjustable control arms upper and lower, just need someone that can adjust them to the correct angle.

-I think Will at Right Side Performance is up your way.
-If not a knowledgeable alignment shop should know what to do but finding someone willing to do it will be the hard part.
-You could also just go to Lowes and buy a simple angle finder and put it on the upper balljoint, do some reading online and adjust it yourself.
4.5-6 degrees would be a good number to shoot for.
Alex

-You could also just go to Lowes and buy a simple angle finder and put it on the upper balljoint, do some reading online and adjust it yourself.
4.5-6 degrees would be a good number to shoot for.
Alex

Agreed. Checking and adjusting the caster with adjustable control arms on a TJ is really easy, and only requires a $10 tool. You should also probably check your toe in after adding a spacer, but that's also something you can do yourself. I'm fairly local if you need a hand

Agreed. Checking and adjusting the caster with adjustable control arms on a TJ is really easy, and only requires a $10 tool. You should also probably check your toe in after adding a spacer, but that's also something you can do yourself. I'm fairly local if you need a hand

Honestly, I know this sounds stupid...but I have no idea how to adjust the control arms.

Brian - If you want to trade a case of beer for some help doing this that'd be great. I'm about 20 min from Durham off 98.

the adjustable CA's should have a giant nut on them. Loosen the nut, remove control arm, unthread the end to make it longer, thread it in to shorten, tighten giant nut, reinstall CA. It will take a little jacking up/down to get the CA back in.

Back