Need Square Body Chevy Help, K5 Blazer, NEXT QUESTION

rparis05

First time poster, long time lurker. Have purchased a few things off of the classifieds.

Have an 83 K5 that the suspension was messed up on when I bought it. Currently has a four inch ORD shackle flip in the rear, paired with a set of Rough Country 2” lift, 56” length spring, stock length should be 52”. I want to put the shackle flip in the correct location, and put a set of the stock rear springs on. I purchased the springs below, and was told they were stock K5 springs.

I ordered a set of Tuff Country EzRide in 4" for the front.

Was looking at them sitting together in the shop and now I am questioning if these are stock springs. The distance between board and the spring on the TC is 6.5 inches, (painted spring). The distance between the board and the "stock" spring is 8 inches, (rusty spring with overload). Do these look like stock rear chevy springs?

I assumed that the stock springs would be flatter than the new lift springs for the front. @Infamous1 suggested that the original inverted shackle hanger would mean the springs would have more arch.

Thank you for your help. I am trying to have everything on hand, ready to go, so there are no surprises mid install, and then I am stuck mid project looking for parts.

If you need any more info to help decide, let me know.
Ray

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• B87F6AFD-C0AA-4F72-B93D-9FA5E249CD19.jpeg
    B87F6AFD-C0AA-4F72-B93D-9FA5E249CD19.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 4E6E052C-4913-4742-B809-2FD494112D17.jpeg
    4E6E052C-4913-4742-B809-2FD494112D17.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 245
  • 5D683012-110B-4466-BE98-C8BFA6EA5F07.jpeg
    5D683012-110B-4466-BE98-C8BFA6EA5F07.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 053ADE17-6243-4AA6-A110-8BFC91D2D0CE.jpeg
    053ADE17-6243-4AA6-A110-8BFC91D2D0CE.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 281
The inverted rear shackle set-up is going to make the arch steeper on a stock spring. That being said I am not certain those springs are stock but they do look stock. Any way to measure the springs currently on it for a comparison? I have an '83 K10 with rear stock springs and 2" an-add-a-leaf in the pack. I can measure them tomorrow afternoon if you would like.

The stock springs should measure roughly 52". The springs that are currently on it are 2 inch lift, 56" Rough Country, so measuring them doesn't really gain me a lot as far as getting this measurement straightened out. Would love it if you could measure yours.

These seem to be within an inch of 52", and the center pin is centered like it should be, but the arch just looks huge. Maybe I am wrong...

The stuff country achieve their lift by a higher spring rate.

Meaning the stock springs sag more under load than the new lift springs.

Not sure that zero rate is stock to an 83 k5.

Rear springs have more arch in them because of how the frame is shaped and because of the difference in mounting height for the spring hangers. You're good to go and just over thinking it.

wow I totally mis-read the first time that you were comparing a rear and a front.
what ^ said

It still amazes me how little arch there is in the front lift springs under my CUCV...4" springs and they're almost flat, but hell, the stock front springs were negative arch anyway.

I use 4" K5 springs in the front of my Jeep, and they're not too far off of flat either.

With one add a leaf in my stock springs with the weight of the truck on them the rears measure 51" eye to eye and 4.5" down to center pin.

New info:

Found a number under the rust. Led me to this info:

22-815 Leaf Spring Assembly

Gentleman on the phone said they are for an 89-91 Chevrolet. Perhaps GM just changed part numbers? Although LMC has different springs for different years, and they are different prices...

I am trying to put these on an 83 K5. Will these work, or am I back to square one?

You guys have been awesome.

Ray

Last edited:
They're the same length, so yes.

I have torn these down and am in the process of cleaning them up and painting. Advantage or disadvantages of keeping or removing the overload spring. Seems like it would not affect droop, but possibly up travel. This Blazer won't tow anything substantial, Ive got a diesel for that.

Ray

Back