Need to expand my garage and build/buy a storage building

chris

cltdba
I've got a 1 car garage that is semi attached to my home. There is no entrance to the garage from the home, but it has been tied into the roof. I'm sick of doing the skinny dance just to get a wheel off the jeep. I want to expand this garage and put in a concrete floor. However, I'm not good at doing this sort of thing myself, so I'm looking for a contractor who can get the job done. I've also entertained the idea of building a detached 2 bay shop, but I'm not sure what route would be more cost effective. If you know of anyone in the Charlotte area with this sort of expertise, please let me know.

I'd also like to buy/build a 10x12 (or possibly larger) storage building to store parts, lawn equipment, etc. I've looked around at the portable building places and I'm not very impressed with the craftsmanship or the prices. Let me know if you know anyone that does these too.

I contacted 3 contractors. Nobody wanted to build for me. The 3rd contractor suggested that I look at steel buildings. I went with a carport building. It's supposed to go up next week. check out my garage build thread on here.

If my land was even, concrete would have been the only additional expense. The metal buildings are really cheap. I wouldn't hang engines from the roof, but it sounds like you are like me, just want a dry place to work.

No intentions on hanging a motor from it. A cherry picker works just as good. I didn't want to go with a carport/metal building because of longevity and the appearance. They are much cheaper though. Ideally I'd like to extend my garage so that it looks like part of the house. I suppose I just need to find some contractors and get some quotes.

--edit--

Just looked at your build thread. Can you give me the names of the concrete and building company? Are you wiring the shop yourself or did you hire someone? My land is flat so I imagine all I need is a little bit of foundation/gravel, a slab, the building and wiring. Should be relatively simple...I think. This might just be the best way to go.

Greg Barbee from Midland did the grading. Concrete guy said he was within an inch of being perfectly level. He did it all with the dozer. He really did do a good job. The dirt is packed very well. The concrete guys reminded me of that every time they drove a stake in the ground.

Michael from Affordable Concrete in Concord did the concrete for me. He has been riding wheelers with me for a few months. I visited his garage and saw how particular he was about things. That was my decision maker on hiring him. He wasn't the cheapest and he wasn't the most expensive, but he did do a top notch job. Fast too.

Carolina Carport has the metal buildings. I agree with it being a little too metal looking, but for now it will be fine for me. I thought of having it wrapped in vinyl like the house if it gets on my nerves too much. Nothing I like more than pissing money away.

My neighbor is an electrician, he doesn't know it yet, but I'm gonna try to get him to wire it up for me. Not running another meter to it, just gonna run off of the house. Most power I'll pull will be for a welder. The wiring inside the building will be done correctly though. I don't like dangerous wires.

Chris, give me a call and I will hook you up with Richie. He is a good friend of Chris at MarsFab. He is the one that did my patio cover for me. He also built Chris's office at the shop. He does good work and had a small crew if need be. He also has a lot of contacts.

Chris, give me a call and I will hook you up with Richie. He is a good friend of Chris at MarsFab. He is the one that did my patio cover for me. He also built Chris's office at the shop. He does good work and had a small crew if need be. He also has a lot of contacts.
x2 on Rich.
Straight up guy. And my friend.

Back