NetGear modem

orange150

we have a Netgear modem/wireless router/regular router all in one deal at my apt. and the damn thing always just kinda stops working. my computer doesnt say it's disconnected from the internet or anything but the internet wont work until we unplug the modem for a few minutes. i know its not just my comp messing up because my roomates' internet wont work either. Is there some simple solution to this problem or is the modem messed up? also is Netgear a good company?

log in to the routers interface and check to see if its set for dhcp and the dhcp lease time, raise the lease time if needed. Netgear is owned by Cisco, top of the line there bud.

There should also be a light on the front that says 'internet'. Is this light on when you loose connectivity?

PS.
i want a PSD
I have one for sale.

Ahhh, Nuts, Netgear is not owned by Cisco, Lynksys is. Net gear is a seperate company.

You might also check on the netgear site to see if there is an updated firmware for your product. Because companies release them from time to time. They are kinda like windows updates for the modem. They fix problems, and patch security holes, and sometime add new features.

Also make sure that all your PC's are up to date with all the latest patches, and virus scanner definitions. Because if you have a virus, or trojan horse on your PC you might be sending alot of traffic and the router is shuting down. You might also want to call your internet service provider because your signal strength to your modem might not be high enough.

Those are a few things to try.

You might also want to check and see if there is a firmware update for your particular router. It might end up being a common problem that has already been fixed.

how is your neighbors? that place used to be crap for connection/speed, as were all the other "college" apartment complexes when i lived out there. something about poor planning on time warners part to provide adequate strength or whatever on their main lines. it took almost 2 years to get things straight at the place i lived. there wasn't a single month that i payed full price on the internet due to outages.

I dont see our router on the netgear website. it says CG814WG on the bottom of the router along with the serial number and some other random info stuff.

and StudNuts I will trade you a '98 Grand Cherokee for your PSD :rolleyes:

orange150 said:
we all have great signal strength, it just cuts off.

Ivan you have a PM headed your way too

When he is talking about signal strength he is not talking about what you see for your wireless connection. He is talking about your cable strength to your modem. Because there is a certain range that the signal has to be at for your cable modem to stay connected. Because at my mom's house time warner had to come put a signal booster in the house so that my cable modem would stay connected. Also if your apartment does not have good inside the walls with good sheilding it will cause problems also. Also make sure that you do not have a splitter or a long cable line between your cable modem and the wall jack, because some splitter filter out the cable modem signal, and a long cable will also hurt your performance.

But if you keep having the problem keep calling time warner and be there when the repair man is there and ask him to check your signal strength and also ask him to put in a singla booster, and get some good cables from him. Once I did that at my mom's house the modem stayed on all the time like it was suppose to.

ah, well its hooked up to a 3' line to the outlet but it does have a splitter in the line to the tv. but i have also noticed that the longer we've had it the less problems its had.

He is talking about the distance from you to the CO (where TW's gear is). Just like any electronic signal you can only go so far before attenuation kills it.

The cable guy came today, he said that NetGear modems dont like Xbox. Turns out the Xbox draws voltage from the modem which makes them over heat. So we have to get a wireless connecter for the Xbox if we want to use Xbox live.

Naaah, what you need is a hub or switch. I bet if you put a fan on the box it would work better. This happens ALOT, and to me as well. problem is, they're cramming 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bucket. Switches generate a good amount of heat, as do wireless transcivers.

I got a 5 port switch for $15 from newegg.com..

Basically what you're trying to do is to spread out the duties that box is trying to perform. My setup current is:

cable modem
cable router/phone interface
5-port switch
wireless access point (can be used as a router, but it's just an access point in my config

They each only get "warm", and never shut down.

Back