New AMC 360 Motor

CJM1971

Considering dropping in a new 360 into my 84 CJ 7, any recomendations on where I can pick up a complete motor or a reputable provider online? Im in the Raleigh/Wake Forest area.

Thank you, would be good to have someone in mind in case it comes to this. I have had a quick knock on cold starts lately and some mass hesitation when trying to restart it while it's hot and the knocking has been a little more present lately. It goes away after a few seconds, but I would rather figure it out now instead of being stranded and do more damage later. I need to check the usual suspects first, stretched timing chain, oil pressure, etc. I really don't want to spend several thousand on a new motor if I can avoid it. Problem is, over the years, these poor jeeps get passed around and who knows what the previous few owners did to it.

Like every Remaned dealer I can find, I looked up their reviews. And like all but 1 company, they Suck! Really, I Don't know How many engines these companies sell, as compared to the number of Failures reported. But it seems they All have a very Suspicious Warranty, & do Everything possible to Avoid paying or correcting any issues. "You bought it, You Own it"! Got a Claim, don't waste your time. IF you get a Good motor, Your Happy! IF you get a POS, So What? It Happens! That's the Attitude I see.
Tristar is the 1 Company, that I haven't found any Bad reviews on. They build "Performance" engines & listed as a supplier of Auto Zone.
Surefire is Also list as Auto Zones remaned engines. Surefire has Horrible Reviews! So, I'm still debating what to do.
Sent CJM a pm for info, but after no reply, found this thread.

Like every Remaned dealer I can find, I looked up their reviews. And like all but 1 company, they Suck! Really, I Don't know How many engines these companies sell, as compared to the number of Failures reported. But it seems they All have a very Suspicious Warranty, & do Everything possible to Avoid paying or correcting any issues. "You bought it, You Own it"! Got a Claim, don't waste your time. IF you get a Good motor, Your Happy! IF you get a POS, So What? It Happens! That's the Attitude I see.
Tristar is the 1 Company, that I haven't found any Bad reviews on. They build "Performance" engines & listed as a supplier of Auto Zone.
Surefire is Also list as Auto Zones remaned engines. Surefire has Horrible Reviews! So, I'm still debating what to do.
Sent CJM a pm for info, but after no reply, found this thread.

Keep in mind...generally...hardly anybody gives "good reviews". Only the people who have had a bad experience give "bad reviews", usually out of frustration! Reviews are of limited value.

Look at the time in business. If you produce mostly junk, you wont be around long!

Warranties or generally a joke as well. Many just want to push the stuff out the door and don't care. Most warranty claims on motors are failures due to abuse, lack of knowledge,or stuff like, "didnt put oil in it on start-up"...stuff like that. Engines are probably usually hard to warrant on a consistent, no questions asked basis! I hardly know of any engine builder that wont warrant an engine bought and installed by a reputable shop. Because the builder knows the installer knows what he is doing!

Keep in mind...generally...hardly anybody gives "good reviews". Only the people who have had a bad experience give "bad reviews", usually out of frustration! Reviews are of limited value.

Look at the time in business. If you produce mostly junk, you wont be around long!

Warranties or generally a joke as well. Many just want to push the stuff out the door and don't care. Most warranty claims on motors are failures due to abuse, lack of knowledge,or stuff like, "didnt put oil in it on start-up"...stuff like that. Engines are probably usually hard to warrant on a consistent, no questions asked basis! I hardly know of any engine builder that wont warrant an engine bought and installed by a reputable shop. Because the builder knows the installer knows what he is doing!
I realize all that, but when i get into the regular parts stores, most of them are using the same 3-4 companies. And when you get into the reviews, you see the pattern of warranty rejections, {Their reasons}, & No concern for their customer. IF, they do allow an outside shop to check an engine, or preform work, the pay the shop $45 per hour labor. Their Claim That is the Standard shop pay! They also blame failed pistons, rings & heads, on things like "over fueling"! You ran So rich, it washed the cylinders out. Sure! Common customer problems are, rear oil seal, head gaskets, no oil pressure, & engine knocks. AND the Licensed Shops that did the install, & the engine failed on First crank! It may be 1 out off 1000, but there is definitely a pattern that Highly Concerns Me.

Yes, I think you're pretty accurate there. "Regular parts store" suppliers may be the problem. These companies generally aren't putting their names out there. They hide their companies behind those "parts stores". They probably hire the same minimum wage people that the "parts stores" do!

I guess a good example of my point would be Jasper Engines. I know everybody knows someone who has had an issue with a Jasper engine. But I also know of hundreds of "no issue" installations. This is a reputable engine re-builder that markets its own Brand.

I guess the lesson here is even tho you went to Advance (for instance), learn who you are actually getting the engine from and what their reputation is.

Back