New Axle Housing - setting spring perch angles

Jeffncs

Long story short, I PULLED the AMC 20 from my 82 CJ7 in favor of a Dana 44 with better gearing and trutrac. The incoming axles assembly is SOA and I’m taking it back to SUA. I have new spring perches front and rear along with the front shock mounts. I’ll cut off the old ones and not reuse.

I’m not changing lift, springs, driveshaft. Everything except the actual housing and internals are the same as what came off (except the new spring perches and u-bolts).

Question - using a magnetic angle gauge, if I measure the pinion angle of the old axle, can I simply match that for the new one and burn it in place? The old setup used a small triangular spacer to correct the pinion angle for the current lift....

Logically, I’m inclined to test fit for center, measure, check, measure, check, measure then tack weld the perches in place....

Is that a good approach? I’m literally not changing anything other than the housing and attaching hardware that way. I never noticed any driveline issues, it have only had it to 55 once before tearing it apart for the differential change....

I would tack the perches on to match the old angle, adding the angle from the spacer as well. I would then install the axle in the jeep and put weight on it, to verify all the measurements are where they need to be. Then, either adjust or burn it in.

Back