New Jeep Project

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by yager, Jan 25, 2010.

1. YotaOFFroad27

YotaOFFroad27 Active Member

hmmmm looks good, are those the same rotors.. kinda looks like it. :popcorn:

2. yager

yager Better Faster Stronger

Whelp I hit the damn back button and messed up what I had typed..

So... Rotors, no idea, yet, so I left those on, late model is slip on top hat style, but I may end up with GM metric calipers. I still need to pull the diff apart for the elocker chunk, as well as dirty30 shafts anyway so I didn't button it up tight..

Spindle Nut
    hub lock nut modification - I modified the auto hub lock flange to reuse the spindle bearing flange nut. Its retained with the multi-drilled lock washer vs bent tab washer deal.

20100216-TJ-ToyAxle 003.jpg

20100216-TJ-ToyAxle 004.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. yager

And before I forget, few weeks back I helped John (Foreman) do the frame cut/bend on his TJ. He was having some frame clearance issues up front, and since he's also running full hydro figured it was the perfect mod for him also... I was able to verify and dial in the numbers I used on my cuts.

With the numbers we used on Foreman's cut IIRC he ended up with 1"' tall side rubber bushings on the rad support. He flipped the center radiator support upside down w/ 1/2" center bushing.

My cuts were ~1/8" more and I have 1/2" side bushings, and I'm planning to remove the front tube so I havn't do that part yet.

Here are the numbers we used on John's I saw someone who did this on Pbb and figured out where to do the cuts based on the arc high points etc.. This probably won't work without redoing the steering box mount or running full hydro..

TJ-front-frame-chop.jpg

4. yager

And some update on current progress. I had some fun unloading the parts jeep (now dubbed 'tweaker') off my trailer. Seems almost everything on it is pretty tweaked from the front hit. I removed a bunch of stuff from the underside while it was on the trailer. Easier there then in the dirt later on. I pulled the fuel lines, as well as some misc. exhaust brackets etc.. And the bent up POS shocks so they would slow me down as I rolled off the back of the trailer....

So... Its now dark, my mini led headlamp didn't show much.. But my goal was to unload 'tweaker' before I called it a day, so I wasn't stopping.. Aired up the tires for maximum top speed. Verified, the ebrake worked 'enough', oh wait the steering is gone... Slipped the lower joint back on the shaft... Ok ready to go....

Pushed 'tweaker' down the trailer to where it would roll on its own, hopped in and down the ramps.... half way down, joint slipped back off, no steering.. Ok np... no damage, just not where I want it... I'll fix it later...

Now I can start removing all the parts I'm keeping and line up buyers for the rest.. Frame is bent up front but usable for a buggy. Anyway... next up is... no idea ;)

5. Rich

Rich Asshole at large

Keep at it Mikey... I really like where it's heading so far!

But don't put GM calipers on a Toyota axle.. Toy 4-pistons are great brakes!

6. BigJUGGY

BigJUGGY Well-Known Member

Good Work Brother..I'll take a look when I'm there tommorrow...

I'll bring a Cold :beer: for ya...!!

7. YotaOFFroad27

lookin good, when is the shake down run?

8. yager

Every Friday and Saturday night.... (bench) racing starts at :beer: :30

9. YotaOFFroad27

updates?!?!

10. yager

Juggy came over sat. and we pulled the cage and windshield frame out of the new blue parts jeep (2002 TJ). I had removed the body mounts earlier in the day. Low milage (23k) wreck so most everything is new like. It was more/less a bare shell and the tub is damaged pretty good at the firewall on the passenger side...

Later on we figured out where to remount the hydro ram. So we setup the bender and bent a new piece for the front. I finished that up today and got it tacked in.

A local guy came over for me to weld some tie rod inserts on is CJ so after that was done he offered to help me sling the motor into the TJ. Just hung it in there to see what it was gonna look like and start measuring out everything to determine its final resting home.. Snapped a bunch of pics, ill upload in a bit...

Here's the pics.. This is where its looking like the motor will end up. Transmission shifter and t-case shifter looks like they will both end up in good spots.

20100314-TJ-Front 015.jpg

20100314-TJ-Front 013.jpg

11. yager

side view
    20100314-TJ-Front 019.jpg

12. yager

Quick update...

John Herr stopped over last week helped me get started on the motor mounts. Finished those up...

Decided on Navy Blue so the wife helped me rattle can some parts of the jeep. Did the firewall, hood and some under dash areas. Now I can start assembling some stuff as I go.

Made some progress with the front suspension. Finalized at axle pushed 7" forward. 4link numbers look good on paper and leave plenty of adjustability with the upper frame mounts.

Front axle - swapped on IFS hubs, got the ram mounted.

Pics show axle at full stuff. Though I left an out if needed, of ~1" if I put a small notch in the frame rail the rest will still clear..

Oh ya forgot, front will be bobbed a little so the tires can turn fully.. Will have a recessed winch mount as the front cross member. Nose was shorted a little from the frame de-arch..

Sorta limited right now to 35deg. Not to bad almost everything starts hitting at this point anyway..

Some pics...

20100406-TJ 020.jpg

20100406-TJ 019.jpg

20100406-TJ 018.jpg

13. yager

few more of front upper link mounts.

20100406-TJ 021.jpg

20100406-TJ 022.jpg

14. foreman1063

foreman1063 Well-Known Member

That's looking good Mike. I love how neatly packaged everything is. A little more tweaking on the front frame huh, you should have a nice little bag of tricks for TJ frame mods after this project.

15. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member Moderator

Straightening the frame was interesting.

16. J.C.

J.C. Volunteer Moderator

FWIW, Very last pic, I have seen two of those axles rip those high steer studs right out of the knuckle in the last few months. Be careful.

BTW, is this for sale?

17. yager

lucky for me I'm using low steer :) Ya they are a common fail item, i'll make sure they are torqued properly and upgrade them if needed...

everything is FS :)

18. Rich

Rich Asshole at large

I'd love to see some kind of double steering arm, with one coming from the lower trunion, with a long bolt going through it all.. That would be nice and strong, and I'm sure you could figgure something out.

I never had issue with my 38's and hi-steer, but I wasn't running hydro, and 2: I checked the torque on them twice a day..

19. gavan

gavan Well-Known Member

We did that on our competition buggy, kinda. We actually took 1x3 solid and made a external C type knuckle with a single upper steering arm. Broke the R and P long time before we broke the toy knuckle or steering arm...

20. gavan

gavan Well-Known Member

understatement of the year...:shaking:

21. YotaOFFroad27

I have both arms for factory low steer if you want them as spare.

22. yager

Few small updates: I wasn't happy with the room left after reworking the frame, I pulled the box tube in some and still didn't like it so I threw some tube at it.. (John Herr helped me bend up the tube one night last week) I finally got around to trimming it and putting the grill tube on... But we hit all the bends perfect. Nothing is braced up yet but you get the idea of where its going..

Front area just big enough to hold warn m8000, leaving slot in center to drop rope down for suck up. Lower tub under grill will hold grill and rad.
    Finalizing link stuff now..

Ordered few more parts, rad. clutch master/slave nothing special..

pics: from a few angles...
    20100411-TJ 118.jpg

20100411-TJ 119.jpg

20100411-TJ 120.jpg

23. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member Moderator

that turned out nice.

24. foreman1063

foreman1063 Well-Known Member

Trudat. :huggy:
    Looks good Mike, you'll be on the trail before you know it.

25. burrellsjeep

burrellsjeep Breaking Stuff...

Wow looking good, Glad to see your still working on it :lol: