New Jeep Project

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by yager, Jan 25, 2010.

1. yager

yager Better Faster Stronger

Yes I have the roll cage but will not be parting with it until I get the new one bent up.. No plans to start kinking tube for a while ~feb/march ish...

Ya I started doing the prep work on the white tub but it started raining and said screw it.. Figured I'd start doing the things I new for sure needed to be done anyway... Before I knew it I was done...

I'm just tired of not being able to make rides... Time to put the rubber to the road...

2. rroadkilll

rroadkilll Active Member

I may still be interested in it if I don't get one for THE HEEP!

3. foreman1063

foreman1063 Well-Known Member

Hell Yeah! Me too.

4. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member Moderator

Damn Mike..

If you need a hand, give me a shout.

5. yager

Not much of an update but Zubs stopped by last night to lend a hand re-hanging the rear frame section in its new 2" higher position. Next up will be burning in the rear frame and tie plates and body mounts, then moving to the front end to wrap that up.

I need to chase down a shipment from a vendor... :( update: Hey what do you know, its out for delivery... was ordered on 12/25.. so not too bad... Though I really need to find a stocking east coast vendor or manufacture.

6. foreman1063

Manufacturer of what?

7. ScottR

ScottR It's never done.

Mike- nice work on the rear floor/fender highline. Great work.

Scott

8. upnover

upnover Grumpy, decrepit Old Man Moderator

Looking good Mike. I did see something like this once, a while back. Basically the guy had the top of his inner fender about an inch below the top rail of the tub. The outer wheelwell was maybe 2" from the top of the tub side. He had major room to stuff his tires and used it all with 42 TSL's

9. drkelly

drkelly Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands

I like this build a lot. It should be a great trail rig. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Looks like you switched from the 36? TSL's to 37? BFG MT's?

10. yager

Thanks ! Ya I'm getting excited the more I get done. I really like where this is going and am more attached to it now. I switched from the 36" TSL Radials to 35" KM2s radials. No real reason other than I felt the 35s were more streetable and they more/less fit the overall vision of the project better. To have a solid trail machine, minimize repair/breaks, get more DD use/seat time and generally get back to where I started.

11. yager

Quick update...
    Pulled the rear floor section back a bit to finish cleaning up all the spot welds and sand/grind down all the seal sealer and junk.

I pulled it all back into place and hit it with a few rivets to hold it together for now. I want to leave it removable in case I need access to the floor area near the B pillar foot area...

Here are some pics while I had it out a bit. Just to more clearly show what the hell I was really doing :)

I removed the leaf perches off the rear axle might get some brackets tacked on soon...

Need to get the tub tightened up a bit before I moved back to the front frame to finish that up.

anyway the pics of the tub.....
    20110108-HiLineRear 001.jpg

20110108-HiLineRear 002.jpg

20110108-HiLineRear 003.jpg

20110108-HiLineRear 004.jpg

12. yager

quick updates: will post pics later..

Garage - Sealed the overhead door better along the edges using some 2" ratchet strap material, will detail later, but basically this hold up well and will hold shape against the door. So my door is sealed very well now.

Installed 3" exhaust on lowrider DD pickup.. Drop install coming soon...

Jeep -
    Tacked on rear lower link brackets, clamped on frame mounts. Measured/Checked clearance on axle <-> frame. I have ~7.5" clearance and am planning 7" up. So my flood mod planning and measuring actually was right..

Started draping the wire harness back into the tub/dash area.. Found my old reference pics that I took from the 2 dollar whore beater parts jeep. Since its already painted, I can start laying that in.. Need to figure out the dash stuff... Want to make a large glove box using the former air bag location.

Overall things slowly falling into place...

13. yager

Quick update from last weekend and so far this week...

I whipped up this cool hybrid starter for the 2.5L :flipoff2:

20110203-Misc 010.jpg
    It's basically a 4.0L motor on a 2.5L head. Just for reference the solenoids also were identical. No idea of the torque etc.. but bigger = better ! I know how much the 2.5L spontaneously stall out so I figured better starter be good. Yes it just clears the oil pan by ~1/4"

Peak at the front frame rails. Have plenty of room for up travel and a my mounts for the struts don't have to be too high..
    20110203-Misc 008.jpg

Starting on the front cross tubes.. Will be integrated winch mount/fairlead
    20110203-Misc 011.jpg

14. yager

Engine
    This is where a fun begins......

I've been researching small 4cyls with 20-40 hp over a stock motor with the potential to do a little more down the road. A wider power band would be nice also. I also wanted to stick with something with R series asin transmission compatibility so I could keep my toy tcase.

I had considered the neon DOHC 2.4 (also in jeeps/liberty) and the older K-car SOHC motors. Both were available with a factory turbo setup and good aftermarket support. (compared to non with the jeep 2.5)

Sooooo... I ultimately settled on a 2.2 ecotec. I started trying to locate one and ended up stumbled on an over priced mislabeled craigslist posting. I found a 2006 2.2 ecotec 42k on it. from an ION. I really had to contain my excitement as I was picking up my motor today.

I'm still working how exactly I'm gonna make it run so I'm sure I'll be looking for help on those things. This little unit puts out
    140-150hp @5600 / 145-155ft/# @4000 stock with more with some basic mods. The peek numbers are at higher rpms but they more/less match a stock jeep motor but just go a bit higher. Plus it weighs ~300# and looks cool..

I know these aren't the end all be all motor and have some issues. Most have fixes or work arounds and some I will figure out in my own creative way.

Let the fun begin..[/B]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  15. iluv_mud

iluv_mud Active Member

The ecotec is a great little motor when I worked at a Chevy dealer we had a caviler with the gm parts supercharger kit man did that car suprise me. IMHO I would consider that as a mod the car made good power had a broad powerband it became a torquey 4 cylinder.

16. spraypaintman

spraypaintman Well-Known Member

17. yager

Heres where were are so far... need to work on finding a solstice/sky bell housing...

Things will be tight but overall should fit..

20110212-Ecotec 013.jpg

20110212-Ecotec 022.jpg

18. yager

Picked up a spare motor this past weekend, it came with this stuck to it..

I'm only keeping the motor and some small items, the rest is going on to its new owner.

20110218-Ecotec 015.jpg

19. yager

update:
    parts motor out,
    Ordered the Solstice/Sky bell housing to allow the AX15/R150 series transmission to bolt to the ecotec. Also ordered hex insert for the camshaft, this is needed to drive the steering pump that is direct drive bolted to the head.
    Picking up a R150 transmission today.

still figuring out the t-case adaptor situation. Ideally I could bolt the toy gear drive t-case to the AX15 rear housing, using a toy output and coupler. But no one seems to make the adapter......yet...

Have to see if there is a market for an adapter to mate a toy t-case to AX15/AX5.

Got the rear cage/frame tie in pieces tacked in and bent of the tubes that will attach to that to hold the struts in the rear wheel well.

Otherwise not much else.....

20. foreman1063

Don't get cheap on us now, put up some pics!

21. yager

NO ! :flipoff2:

and i got the R150 ! Nice meeting you Josh!

22. muddin38yota

muddin38yota Well-Known Member

You too Mike, I like the build thus far..... I'll keep watching.

23. yager

Got my solstice bell housing, bolted some parts together, still working on various pieces to the engine project.
    Flywheel be here this week..

Looks like I'll be swapping in AX15 input into the R150 trans.
    Hopefully my t-case adapter be here this year...

20110308-EcotecBellhousing 008.jpg

24. HANO

HANO meh.

Looks good man and no selling this one until after that one important trip around April of next year.

25. yager

ya seriously.... I've about had it with building stuff from scratch !!!