Nissan Titan as a tow rig?

HardTaco

Well I was window shopping last night (as usual) when i decided to stop and check out the titans. Ive ridden in one before and i must say they will haul ass. I was wondering what you guys think of a Titan as a part time tow rig? Maybe making 4-5 trips a year hauling a sub-4k rig on a relatively small trailer. The price wasnt insane either. 28k for a v8 4 door with the tow package which included tow mirrors, tow hitch with all the goodies, lower gear ratio(dont know for sure, its just what the sticker said?) and a tranny temp gauge.

What do you guys think?

Josh

D44 rear.

'Nuff said.

Pretty nice trucks. They have the power to handle the job without a doubt. The main things that would worry me would be the brakes, and the d44 in the rear. In my opinion it would be fine for only towing 4-5 times a year, and not pulling a great deal of weight. I believe they are rated to tow around 9k if i am right. Give yourself plenty of time to stop, possibly a weight distributing hitch, and a brake controller and you will be ok. just my 2 cents

Jody Jackson uses a Titan to pull his FJ40. He had it at Tellico in May. I've got his number if you want to ask him how well it tows.

R.K.

Why buy new? Let someone else take the depreciation hit.. For 28k, you can get a nice 2003-2004 Cummins 2500, F250SD, etc...

Just my $.02.

also, like Shawn said.. D44 rear. Every other 1/2 ton I know of has a bigger axle in the rear... Will it grenade before 100k? maybe, maybe not... ya feeling lucky?

a 1/2 ton with the right parts is an OK occasional hauler IMO, but I'd want to see F&R anti-roll bars, upgraded shocks, some kind of leveling suspension, etc...

I think I read the Titan has some really big brakes for a 1/2 ton.. but not sure.

Whoever had the long-term test Titan (4WPW or Petersen's.... dunno which) put two rears in it while they had it. The first one blew up towing a buggy to Moab. The second they replaced with a Dynatrac rear after it self-destructed in similar fashion.

I've said it before -- but you can't ever trust a diff that comes from the factory with a finned aluminum cover. Nissan knows damn good and well it's not up to the task. You're certainly getting what you pay for.

SC 4wd PSDs, a couple years old, 50k or fewer miles, go for low $20s. Reg cabs are even cheaper.

Have you looked at Hondas? They have that new pickup thingy that might work well for what you're describing......

HardTaco said:
Well I was window shopping last night (as usual) when i decided to stop and check out the titans. Ive ridden in one before and i must say they will haul ass. I was wondering what you guys think of a Titan as a part time tow rig? Maybe making 4-5 trips a year hauling a sub-4k rig on a relatively small trailer. The price wasnt insane either. 28k for a v8 4 door with the tow package which included tow mirrors, tow hitch with all the goodies, lower gear ratio(dont know for sure, its just what the sticker said?) and a tranny temp gauge.

What do you guys think?

Josh

Time has changed a little but in 2003 I got a new Ram, 4x4, CTD, quad, long bed, 6 speed for 31,000 and a little change. Or go used and get one with a little miles on it for a deal, or spend 3-4k more and get a real good tow rig new.
Jon

I don't think I'd spend that much $$$ on something that may get the job done. I'd rather spend 3K more and get one that I know will work as a full time tow rig. Buy used. Most companies are offering a pretty good drivetrain warranty, so it doesn't hurt to get used. Drive it for a few years, and sell. Then move on to something else. Get up with a local govt/state surpluss auction and get a used work truck for cheap. My uncle is a hwy superintendent up in NY and they buy crew cab 2500, CTDs, 4x4, for cheap, use for about 3 years, then auction them off with about 40K to 60K miles. Really nice trucks. maybe a few minor scratches, but still, very nice and still under warranty, and VERY cheap. Next time he does it, I'll prob. try and take a look at some for myself.
just an idea, but find one local and your in.

Rob

Josh, If you but a used Ford Super Duty or Dodge 2500-3500 you will be in a lot better shape than if you bought a Nissan. Buy a used truck from a manufactures dealership and then buy the extended service plan offered by the manufacture. Don't buy any warranties other than those offered by the major auto manufacture. I bought my truck for less than 20K including the warranty. Good luck.

Wasn't Jody by your girl's house the other night? :D

More of a lurker than a poster on this site, however that being said, this post struck a cord with me. I pull my heep all the time probably twice a month sometimes more with my Titan, trailer weighs 1800lbs and the heep probably 3500+/- and zero problems. Heck 10 hours to Paragon and 10 back and no issues whta so ever, very recently.......

Yes Nissan initially had problems with undersized rotors on the front brakes thus early warping, but thereafter came the bigger brake TSB/recall, I had mine done and all is well. Plenty of stopping power. The rear D44 is what it is, there will always be isolated incidents of rears or any vehicle component blowing up/malfunctioning I know mine hasn't and to date neither has any significant numbers of rears. I visit Titantalk.com a lot and trust me if it was a huge problem I'd know about it. I had my rear diff cover changed at the dealership to an aluminum one along with syn 75-140 as per Nissans recomendations and as a precaution.
I chose the Titan because its rated at 9500lbs coupled with a very good engine and drivetrain. My 04 crew cab SE model 4x4 off road package 29k out of the door and it just looks so damn good!!
Anyway my 2c ..........

KBB built you a truck 2005 2wd ford XL extend cab, 6.0 PSD w/ auto, AC, cruise, tilt, base interior. Tow package (brake controler reciever hitch, wiring etc)

KBB - Invoice $30,356 MSRP (sticker) $34,795

Add the XLT package and 4x4 it jumps ~$6000k you can save 1200 if you want the 6 speed. Is 4x4 and cloth seats worth that much ?

I guess you need to determine if you want towing capacity and long term durability or the added $$ of luxurie.

$30,356 - $2k rebate = $28,300. ;)

Don't get your hopes up over that employee pricing thing. They're a bit cheaper than what you would have paid last week, but the rebates aren't as steep, either. Last week, you could have gotten $5k rebate or 0% for 60mos on Explorer. Now the rebate is $4k, or 2.9% for 60mos financing.... which makes up for most of the difference.

That, and I've always, without exception, been able to quickly negotiate to a price slightly better than the "employee/vendor pricing" anyway.. and the rebates are gravy on TOP of a normal negotiation price..

It doesn't take much to get there, either.. ;)

I got a 04 dodge 1500 2wd with the Hemi for 20k brand new. I'm hoping to pull a decently tricked sami on a small trailer a few times a year. Think its up for the task?

HardTaco said:
They just seem so economical. A base base 05 F250 Reg cab 4wd with the 6.0 TD and NOTHING else is 37k! It kinda freaked me out.

Josh
That is sticker. REmember when you are dealing with Ford or GM you can take 20-30% right off the top.

You can get that truck for 28...
The other thing is you are comparing apples to oranges... a 1/2 ton gas to a 3/4 ton diesel...

Back