No Cranking

family xj

OK my buddy was given(for free) a 84 CJ-7 with a new motor back (installed in 99). He told us it use to crank but wouldn't run. He said he fried the solenoid or the starter so we replaced both. After replacing it would click in the solenoid(sounded like a dead battery).
1st. We tried to jump it from the battery directly to the Starter and nothing. 2nd. So we checked to make sure it wasn't frozen and we could get the crank and flywheel to turn(cover is off of the flywheel).
3rd. We tried jumping the sloenoid from the battery and still nothing.
The battery was dead so we were using my Cherokee battery. I am out of ideas. I know usually the starter will jump if power comes directly from the battery. Not sure if the switch where they key is in the column is bad but it should still have jumped when we hit the starter directly. Anyone have any ideas where I should go next?

This thing is is great shape. No rust on the body or the common spots on the frame. Has hard top and full steel doors. It's a really nice ride if he gets it running.

TIA for the advice
Doug

Check the cables from the battery to ground and to the solenoid and from the solendoid to starter. Sounds like a open. If you jump from the batter side of the solenoid to the S side it should engage the starter provided it has good current and the electrics are ok.

Back