Not impressed by BTF

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Sorry in advance for the length...So I was looking for axle trusses for my 1-ton swap and I liked Blue Torch Fab's designs. For the 14 bolt, I just wanted a truss that would allow me to run leafs so there were a bunch of options out there. For the d60, I like that BTF had a truss that would protect the steering ram and thought it was cool that the diff cover tied into the truss. I have a friend that purchased his BTF trusses and he had nothing bad to say, they were delivered within a week and fit & worked well. On the other hand, I had read bad reviews about BTF's customer service. I decided to purchase the trusses through 4WheelParts in Charlotte that way I would have a middle-man in case the deal went sideways and the cost was about the same as ordering directly through BTF.
Backstory complete; I called BTF on Monday 12/9/13 and asked if the trusses I wanted were in stock. The receptionist said they were and would ship out in a day or two. So I called 4WP and placed the order, CC was charged the next day. I called back on Friday (12/13) and was told they had a bunch of orders and some parts were back ordered, it would be 1-2 weeks before my order shipped. So I called back every Friday after Christmas for an update and started getting the run-around. I finally started emailing their sales department to have a paper trail, the conversation below is copied directly from those emails:

Me(1/21):
Hello,
I placed an order for p/n BTF03033P & BTF03066 on 12/9/2013. I was wondering if you have a tracking number yet or an ETA for when I should expect my trusses. They were ordered through 4 Wheel Parts in Charlotte, NC.
BTF(1/21):
Brandon,
They will be to you by end of week first of next. We are shipping what is finished and in stock.
I do apologize for the inconvenience. We have regular orders from our customers as well as Dealer orders like 4WP and Transam. We are working VERY hard to get these out to you guys.
Me(1/21):
Hayden,
Could you or someone please send me a tracking number when the trusses ship?
This isn't the first time I've heard they're shipping out this week.
BTF(1/21):
Sure will. And I know Brandon, this isn’t the first time we’ve heard it’ll be done this week either :) know what I mean? We are all the middle men here.
I will send you out Tracking AS SOON as it ships.
Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.
Me(1/24):
Hayden,
Has my order been shipped yet? I'm only asking since you said I would have them by the end of this week beginning of next.
BTF(1/24):
You will have your parts first of next week.
Thank you!
Me(1/24):
10-4, could you please send a tracking number when its shipped?
BTF(1/24):
I reckon so :) Have a good day!
Me(1/27):
Hayden,
Do you have any word yet on a tracking number?
BTF(1/27):
Should have tracking by Wednesday. Send me an email Wednesday afternoon.
Is there anything else that you may need in the meantime? For your patience we can help you out if need be.
Me(1/27):
I don't know, what did you have in mind? At this point, my trusses are my priority.
BTF(1/27):
Brackets? Discount on parts? Anything.
Me(1/27):
I'll take a discount on the trusses if you can do that. I ordered all the BTF stuff I needed at the same time to try and save on shipping.
BTF(1/27):
I cannot do that because it is a 4 Wheel Parts order. You have already paid them for the order. I wish I could!
Me(1/27):
I can't think of any brackets or parts I'll need other than the trusses.
Me(1/29):
Hayden,
Any update on a tracking number?

No tracking number on Wednesday so I cancelled my order on Thursday through 4WP & BTF has not contacted me since. I laugh at the fact they claim they are a middle man when their website says they have all this equipment on site and their name is Blue Torch FAB...correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you just need metal & equipment to fabricate? How can steel be backordered for 7 weeks? Again, sorry for the length, but this just rubbed me the wrong way.

TLDR: BTF didn't do themselves a favor by me with their lack of customer service & the run around I got.

Here's my take on it:
BTF claims to be a fab shop where in truth they have a fab shop on consignment for their work. So the FAB shop has other customers (quicker $$$ turn around) that are higher priority than BTF.
BTF sells direct and through dealers like 4WP. Their direct customers (quicker $$$ turn around) have priority over dealer orders so your order is 3rd or 4th in priority depending on how you look at it.
Your parts were "available" when you called on BTF's computer screen but since you were 3rd or 4th in line(slower $$$ turn around) , someone else got your parts.
BTF's consignment shop got busy...you lost.
Good on you for thinking ahead and going through 4WP!

I hate if for ya buddy. Thanks for letting everyone know. A bad review gets around a lot quicker than a good one.

If you ordered through 4WP, your purchase is with them not BTF. You are unfortunately not BTF customer, so I am surprised they would tell you anything and not push you right back to 4WP. That is like buying a pair of Nike's from Finish Line and they are out of stock so you keep calling Nike to ask where your shoes are.

Crappy situation you got put in for sure, but call up MarsFab and get a truss from them.

Why are you even talking to BTF? you placed the order with 4WP, you need to keep your conversation with them and them alone.

Like said before, I'm surprised BTF is even talking to you as 4WP is their customer. Its likely 4WP has this part on back order even though BTF may have it in stock. If 4WP bought in bulk and is out, they are likely waiting on enough "back orders" to place another bulk order with BTF.

Most shops have contract manufacturers make all of their mass produced parts and use their in-house capabilities to make one-off parts and R&D before its mass produced. That being said, its highly likely BTF doesn't even make your part but contracts it out like most other companies.

In the end, until 4WP "orders" your part from BTF, you are SOL.

You'd be better off canceling your 4WP order and going directly to BTF if you know they have one in stock. But to expect BTF to answer questions about an order placed with 4WP is a bit of a stretch.

I would say most of your issue is with 4wp. Do a quick google search for reviews with them across the nation. Everyone seems to have something bad to say, myself included. I had actually applied to work at the one in Raleigh early last year. Never heard from them and I'm so glad. Knowing what I know now I would not work there and I surely will not do business with them by any means.

I think it's better to order direct and avoid the middle man myself. I know several people that have dealt with BTF and been very happy.

When I called 4WP for an update the first time, they told me they'd have to call BTF & get back to me. I just figured I'd cut out the middle man and save everybody some time. A couple of reasons I went through 4WP was the impression I got from other online reviews was single orders were held up and the dealers were receiving their parts quickly & my friend that bought his BTF trusses ordered through 4WP. The guys at 4WP also said when I cancelled the order that the order status showed as 'closed' so they had no idea that I hadn't received my parts yet. If 4WP hadn't placed the order with BTF, BTF should've just told me instead of saying you'll have them next week; I would've been understanding as I know things happen and called 4WP to see what the hold up was. Same thing if they use contract manufacturers, just tell me they're backlogged & I would understand...honesty does it for me instead of getting the same cookie-cutter response. I felt I had got the run around for 7 weeks and I had just had enough. Maybe I should have just kept all contact through 4WP, but its too late for that now. I'll be getting in touch with MarsFab to get both trusses once I get the axles back home.

4WP and most dealers have contract prices through suppliers.
In order to get the prices they contract to they have order minimums and other concessions.

Its likely that right now 4wp doesnt have enough orders for BTF to even order your parts. BTF isnt going to throw one of their largest dealers under the table so they mistakenly tell you soon. As they have faith 4wp will sell more of their product.

Point blank, when you wnet around 4wp and straight to BTF you lost your leverage with BTF (you aren't their customer) and with 4wp (you have already went around them, they are less inclined to help you.)

And yeah as rockcity mentions above..BTF is a Fab shop and builds lots of stuff in house, they also contract out stuff to "job shops"

Final thought. You are in Concord. I'd call Mars Fab...I bet for the same money (or damn close) Chris will listen to what you want and get you a product that does everything you want/like and deliver it at the agreed upon time.

not sure why we source things, that can be bought local, out of the area

http://www.mudprometalworks.com/axletrusses.html

don't forget about this guy, he makes some nice stuff, and he is about an hour from you

I learned my lesson a long time ago with BTF, and its not about the product, the products are great, the customer service is the key

I agree with guff....scott is an awesome guy to deal with and usually has a day or two turn around on anything....nothing but great service from him!

If you called BTF and they had something to look at, to answer your question..(which as stated above, is RARE for them to do.) then 4wp has placed a PO for the item. Otherwise, they would have for sure thrown 4wp under the bus telling you there was no order placed.

I cant remeber OP's name, but I know for sure the guys at 4wp like him, and they did the best they could for him. He has been a good customer for a loong time there.

Not surprised to see this thread.

Back