NP247 Rebuilder and/or rebuild kit needed

thecarman

My friend has a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 with "Quadra Drive II" - he says it is NP247.

His T-case needs a rebuild, with parts replaced like the bearings, seals and chain.

Where is the best place to get *all* the parts for this? Is there a complete kit available?

Also, is there a reputable shop in the Raleigh area for work like this? He'd rather get it done somewhere - he doesn't have the time to do it himself.

Thanks!
Richard

Richard,
Have him give me a shout. Make sure that bearings/chain is all it needs because if it needs the viscous coupler it gets pricey fast. I have a good used one here with about 30K mile on it that I will let go real reasonable.

Andy

I had that combo and hated it. The rear had to spool up good before the front kicked in. This meant the wife was in a ditch too many times in the snow. That v8 would spin it out pronto. Had no trouble getting out once in though. Tell him to replace it with a 242.

Andy,

I dont think the 247's have a viscous coupler. They use a similar mechanism (progressive coupler) that is alot less prone to breakage. Its supposed to be better due to its ability to have the fluid circulate through it to reduce wear. The 249 is a sealed unit and cannot do this.

carman,

why does your friend think he needs a rebuild?

Puma297 said:

Good question - but he didn't tell me. Just sent me an email saying he needs to have it rebuilt. He understands mechanical stuff, but is not a wheeler. But he is really cheap, so I'm sure it needs to be rebuilt or he wouldn't be looking to spend money on it. :)

Andy - thanks for the offer, he told me he called you. Sorry that he's so cheap - he thinks he can get it rebuilt cheaper than buying/shipping that one from you. But he still doesn't know where he's going to get all the parts from.

Puma297 said:
Andy,
I dont think the 247's have a viscous coupler. They use a similar mechanism (progressive coupler) that is alot less prone to breakage. Its supposed to be better due to its ability to have the fluid circulate through it to reduce wear. The 249 is a sealed unit and cannot do this.
carman,

I thought the same thing until a tech at the dealer told me that even though it is called progressive it's still a viscous coupling. Progressive describes it's operation. The Vari-lok axles are also called progressive differentials.

Kevin is right. It is just a little different setup.

NO prob man, I told him $500 to his door. By the time he buys the chain, rebuild kit and pays someone to do it he will def be losing money. Especially when he figures out (from my converation with him it sounds like) it is not just a chain/bearing problem and there is something in the "prgressive coupler" actually grinding. No big deal at all, it is here if he needs it.

Andy

zubz said:
By the time he buys the chain, rebuild kit and pays someone to do it he will def be losing money.

I agree. :) Thanks again Andy!

Hey dude, I have that tcase sitting on dads garage floor. WJ guy I bought BUG from gave it to me, he had put a 231 in his.

Dads says it reads on the tag 247SVT(SVG..something I didn't write down), New Venture... made in 98. Should be what the Dr ordered...and not doing me much good. I got it when I had the ZJ thinking I might need it someday...

I am sure I can be convinced to let it go REAL cheap! Give me a holler tomorrow at work, 336-540-1990 if you guys want it. (Greensboro)

Sam

Back