O2 sensor error

mbalbritton

#@$%!
About 5-6 months ago I had a check engine light come on. Took it to the store to have them scan it. Came back with an O2 sensor error.

Went ahead and ordered all 4 O2 sensors from RockAuto. By the time they came in, the engine light had gone off. So, I stuck the sensors on the shelf and waited.

FFWD to the other day and the light is on again. I ordered one of those Bluetooth OBD2 scanners and it’s reading the following:
IMG_1006.png

IMG_1007.png

It’s all bank 1 sensor 1.

What’s the chances I have a bad new sensor? What’s the chances it’s something else?

What vehicle are we dealing with here? What brand of replacement O2 sensors did you get?

Oh ya…

2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

I’ll have to go back and see if the O2 brand is in my RockAuto history.

EDIT: Went back and found that I ordered them from Amazon. Reluctantly admit that it looks like I ordered some China brand.

Might be worth looking at replacing bank 1 sensor 1 with a better brand and see what happens.

Last edited:
What @Croatan_Kid said. O2 sensors are one of those where the parts house just doesn’t cut it and you don’t get to skimp. Chased my ass for a long time and fires the parts cannon at a Jeep once. OEM O2 sensor and magically all my problems were solved.

I usually go for Denso or NTK when it comes to O2 sensors. They make a lot of factory ones anyway. It's possible the ones you got aren't up to snuff, but make sure every fuses in that thing is good. Idk if they still do it, but in days past, the O2 sensor heater ciruit drew power through the same circuitry as other, completely unrelated stuff. As did the power for the OBDII port, which was usually the 12v outlet.

Looks like the upstream/sensor 1 sensors are the same left to right. Same for downstream/sensor 2.

Denso brand are 40 bucks a piece for the upstream ones on RockAuto 👌

With the code going from low voltage to high voltage on the heater circuit, it sorta makes me lean towards that sensor itself having a bad heating element.

Last edited:
I usually go for Denso or NTK when it comes to O2 sensors. They make a lot of factory ones anyway. It's possible the ones you got aren't up to snuff, but make sure every fuses in that thing is good. Idk if they still do it, but in days past, the O2 sensor heater ciruit drew power through the same circuitry as other, completely unrelated stuff. As did the power for the OBDII port, which was usually the 12v outlet.

Looks like the upstream/sensor 1 sensors are the same left to right. Same for downstream/sensor 2.

Denso brand are 40 bucks a piece for the upstream ones on RockAuto 👌

With the code going from low voltage to high voltage on the heater circuit, it sorta makes me lean towards that sensor itself having a bad heating element.
Checked all fuses on all three panels. Under hood, and on end of dash in door jam on both sides. I only know of those three, if there’s more. All fuses have me a continuity beep or passed visual inspection. Guess it’s O2 replacement time.

Back