Off road trailer build...

jonboyjs

Got this little trailer as a freebie from my dad last Christmas. Want to basically use it to store tools, air compressor, generator, water, food, anything else you would want to take on an overland camping trip. Since the back of my XK has plenty of room to sleep, this would eliminate extra weight in the vehicle and keep me from having to set up a tent. I got the 3 YJ wheels and tires from a good friend of mine who upgraded to 16s and 35s and had traded one, so left me with exactly the 3 I needed. Going to be a semi slow build but should be cool when I'm done. And yes, I'm eliminating the hideous color scheme. My old man paints with whatever is around the shop.

alh3.ggpht.com__sUUdcCS9ntI_TAWRxdQ8UVI_AAAAAAAABAc_4QFuhWfMONI_100_0127.JPG

Donor wheels and tires:
alh3.ggpht.com__sUUdcCS9ntI_TAWRy_LmutI_AAAAAAAABAg_7XwnlP0kf9A_100_0128.JPG

Stock trailer wheels, yikes!:
alh5.ggpht.com__sUUdcCS9ntI_TAWR1ACjvuI_AAAAAAAABAk_3z_GxQds_N4_100_0129.JPG

Changing the hubs to 5x4.5 from Northern tool and planning on getting longer leaf springs to help the ride and raise more if needed:
alh5.ggpht.com__sUUdcCS9ntI_TAWR3kzllRI_AAAAAAAABAo_t0OPG0dx0xg_100_0130.JPG

Main storage box and my loaner winch:
alh4.ggpht.com__sUUdcCS9ntI_TAWR5_n3UkI_AAAAAAAABAs_SR2dFMoD8vU_100_0131.JPG

Looks interested. I'd say you need to 4 link it. Just for curiosity. It's going to need some long leafs and or blocks to fit those wheels. Unless you take the fenders off.

Yea, the fenders are coming off. Northern has some bigger ones in treadplate that will match the storage box if I need new ones. I already plan on longer leafs to accomodate the tires.

and a new axle right?

If you can find a rear D35, reweld the perches on the axle, spring hangers on the frame and you should be good to go. Tha will take care of the width and teh lug pattern.

If you can find a rear D35, reweld the perches on the axle, spring hangers on the frame and you should be good to go. Tha will take care of the width and teh lug pattern.

I kept my old Dana 35 around for like 3 years anticipating a trailer build. I finally decided that there were too many other projects to sink the cash into the trailer and sold it. I still think it would be a good idea, a big issue though is weight. Isn't it like several hundred pounds heavier than what is under the trailer now? That could make it tough to pull around off-road.

Either way, looks like a cool build! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I have a good solution for the axle...I changed my MJ over to 4wd so I have the front beam axle that came in the 2wd. it is essentially just a hollow tube with spindles and such. I guess you could remove the brakes to save weight. Only thing would be to come up with a way to lock out the knuckles so it wouldn't steer on ya.

That would probably work, but I want to stay with the simplest, lightest axle I can. I'd prefer to have just a regular trailer axle/spindles.

Are you going to use a RTT with this trailer?

If so, what are your plans for the lid?

There are some good ideas and threads on the below site too...incase you have not seen it yet!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

These offroad trailer are fun, but they can be a money pit quick...just like a rig!!

GL and keep us posted!

Not familiar with RTT? But I got the idea from pirate4x4 in the expedition section. I consider myself to fit in with that stle the most. A rig that is not great at any one thing but can do enough of everything.

It's been FOREVER since I updated this but finally made a little progress. Wound up having to buy a whole new axle kit that was wider from Northern Tool. Thanks to Novacayne75 who welded everything in for me. Mocked it up a bit with the toolbox and toying with where to put the spare. Next I'm getting the whole trailer and wheels lined and making some type of hold down system for my generator, boxes, etc. Curious to see how it pulls off road. It's spring under right now, may wind up going spring over to get a little more height since my YJ is much taller than my XK was.

Here's what I have so far...

alh5.googleusercontent.com__PWlDbm6tPrk_Tm6XpwwjUhI_AAAAAAAAABeed263b5d19725cfb89191a81bcd32e1.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__3MErWbcru2g_Tm6X0QyklPI_AAAAAAAAAB408bd9fb28aa781e427a0cd6405888ed.jpg

I want a multi-use utility trailer. I can take everything off and have just a regular flat bed for my mower, 4-wheeler, etc (I have some ramps that go on the back.) Maybe taller sides so i can use it for hauling dirt, mulch, etc. And then setup kind of how it is now but a removable hold down/storage system for all of my camping/wheeling supplies (generator, fuel, air tank, parts, welder, etc.)

Ready for The Flats

Went ahead and went spring over. Loaded it down for a trial run to The Flats. Pulls great at 70mph and ride height is almost perfect for my YJ. See ya'll out there!

alh4.googleusercontent.com__UXeuMNV_DQI_Tn4CBkvTOsI_AAAAAAAAAB0e4a5268fde1f1961c14796d2cd8149a.jpg

Saw your trailer at the Flats. Looking good!

Back