okay, okay ill get a fire extinguisher now

Metto

so on the way home from the shop today the truck starts sputtering and misfiring like crazy. first though is shit, what did i put together wrong or did i drop a wrench in the intake. i make it about another 300 yards before the truck completely dies. then i realize that we never reconnected the ground for the gas tank after we dropped the tranny so the guage reads full all the time. so basically im out of gas. about 1 hour later i finally get someone to bring me a gas can (the shop i work at is in the boonies). problem is, passenger side of the truck is in a ditch where i pulled over and thats the side the fill neck is on, so i cant get any gas into the tank. at this point it is getting dark and then some good samaritan pulls over to help me. at this point i got the bright idea to run the truck on ether until we could get it on level gound (you know like on TTC, me in the engine bay, other dude driving). so this works for about 3 feet then it just wont fire. so i pull off the metal plate on top of the filter (i have an open element filter) and tell the guy to fire it (im sitting on top of the radiator at this point). guess what happens when he cranks it....KABOOM. giant fireball out of the 4bbl and onto my head and arm (i ducked). so now not only am i stuck on the side of the road with no way to get gas in the truck, but the engine bay is about to become the inferno. i said fawk that im not losing my truck, pulled of my shirt and tried to beat it out. but it didnt work to well, just lit the shirt on fire. so i grabbed this hot mass of flaming rubber and cotton batting that used to be my air filter and my shirt and throw it out of the truck (yes, im still sitting in the engine bay and i really dont want this thing to burn to the ground). after i get all that mess off, the carb is still on fire, burning very close to some fuel lines. this other guy who pulled over to help me is running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to call the fire department and im still just trying to beat the fire out with my hands. then the other guy comes running over with this milk jug and he is yelling "i got water, i got water!" so i grab it and dump it on the carb after he has thrown half of it on me and that finnaly puts it out. so now the fire is out but im on the side of the road with no shirt and only half of my hair still intact. at this point my mom calls and asks me if i got any gas yet or if i still needed someone to bring me some. i told her i had gas, but i almost burned down the truck. so my dad comes with the super duty to pull me home. all this time im just waiting on the side of the road, no shirt, greasy carharrts, only half of my hair and some work boots. and to top it all off there is smoke everywhere and the air filter/t-shirt combo is still on fire next to the truck. anyway, the lesson i learned is GET A FAWKING FIRE EXTINGUISHER. im going to pep boys first thing in the morning and getting a chrome ricer one with a mounting bracket. sorry for the long post but here it is one more time, get a FAWKING FIRE EXTINGUISHER :flipoff2:

yea i think the carb is probably in bad shape now, but it dosent really matter cause im going to 'pane next weekend

ALWAYS CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER. This could have easily been avoided with the proper equipment. To tell the whole story, he had dumped his jeep earlier that day which some fuel from the overflow valve leaked out. Later that day he was climbing up a very steep hill climb that was wet/muddy, he lost traction and started sliding backward(with tires spinning forward), slid back into a tree very hard which broke the battery tray and knocked the batteries out and one sparked on the fuel cell...the photo tells the rest. It was a quality Summit hd battery hold down too. Simple unexpected failures can lead to disaster. Since that, I immediately put one in the buggy.

IMG_0220.jpg

RufusTheRam said:
damn, darwin just missed one... :flipoff2:

Darwin catch and release program..............

K :huggy:

i think it's a smart thing to have in any vehicle you care about. or even in the event some other person needs it. me, 3 out of 5 of my vehicles could burn to the ground i'd just stand and laugh. :flipoff2:

yea the 3 that actually move :flipoff2:
(i know mine hasnt moved in years... i couldnt resist)

and to keep it on topic i keep a fire extinguisher in my truck and it doesnt even have gas tanks!

I lit my Yukon's engine on fire with ether once. I had to beat it out with my sister's sweatshirt (she left it in the truck after we went surfing you sick bastards). She wasn't too happy when I gave it back to her. I'd gladly pay for a fire extinguisher rather than listen to her bitch again.

Seriously...small ones are $10-15. I can't believe that some people would drive anything without one...especially some of the junk that we drive. I've got one in everything I drive, they've saved my ass twice so far...just think of it as cheap insurance.

Back