Opinions on different brand trailers

Great article, thanks! :beer:

I've owned my Sweet River Trailer for 3 years now, and it's been a great trailer. LED lights all around, brakes on both axles, slide in ramps, heavy-duty diamond-plate fenders that you can stand on, and great folks to do business with just south of the state line in SC.

Talked to Kaufman trailers again today and got some more pics of their 17ft all metal trailer. Gonna get in touch with Hudson and see what kinda damage($) they'll do to me?

Kaufman pics:
2972003530038371315S600x600Q85.jpg

2332650190038371315S600x600Q85.jpg

2462127030038371315S600x600Q85.jpg

I placed an order for this trailer last Friday. Added a spare as an option. Total came to 2440 (You get a 100 discount if you pick it up at their facility).

--> http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heavy-equipment-trailer-store/Single-Car-Haulers/8,000-GVWR---19-ft.-Diamond-Deck-Single-Car-Hauler-Trailer-p65.html

I dealt with Tommy at Kaufman's Lexington/Thomasville/Denton facility. Great communication and a pretty slick operation.

I pick-up my trailer on Saturday 4/17. I'll report back then on my overall thoughts.
-Jon

so why not the 17' version??

I wanted to have the option to tow my FZJ80 on a limited basis (probably once a year at the most) and the 7k GVWR for the 17ft wouldn't cut it. Also for the price I figured I'd upgrade to the longer and higher GVWR (was only a few hundred more).

I picked up my trailer yesterday. I was impressed they were able to build it as quickly as they did. Tommy at Kaufman was great to work with and helped get me on the 'priority list' so it was finished in time for my trip next week.
My only comments is the wiring. It isn't a hack job but I would have liked to see heat shrink vs. crimped connections. No biggie I can mix it myself. I'd also opt for the adjustable tongue if I did it again...that way you don't have to fiddle with finding a ball mount with the appropriate drop.

Wow, nice looking trailer!

Bummer about the wiring, you would think the heat shrink would be faster to install than crimping everything. How do the welds look on the trailer? I've seen some trailers that were only welding on the top side or in the critical areas and but water gets in between the metal and after a year or so you got rust under there. Hey take some more pics of that trailer when you get a chance!

Crappy cell phone pic but I picked up this beauty this weekend

ai358.photobucket.com_albums_oo27_CW_2009_trailer.jpg

Thanks. Yep, a 20ft Kaufman rated to 8k pounds.

I picked up my trailer yesterday. I was impressed they were able to build it as quickly as they did. Tommy at Kaufman was great to work with and helped get me on the 'priority list' so it was finished in time for my trip next week.
My only comments is the wiring. It isn't a hack job but I would have liked to see heat shrink vs. crimped connections. No biggie I can mix it myself. I'd also opt for the adjustable tongue if I did it again...that way you don't have to fiddle with finding a ball mount with the appropriate drop.

i have a kaufman as well metal deck looks almost like the one you bought and i love it i haggled with my buddie for a year and he finally sold it to me for 1200 bucks!!!

Tongue jack's for the most part suck, go the extra and get a single foot type that cranks from the side like legs on a Big truck's trailer.
Go for brakes on BOTH axles as said.
D-rings on front, rear, and sides front and rear.
Lights protected from crash and bust incidents
get at least 5K axles, with 16" tires, You just don't have as good of a selection with 15" tires
Ramps, everyone has their preference, I like fold down's . If you get slide in's a nice set of aluminum ones will be a lot easier on your back.
If fold down, get channel straps to keep them in place, chains are noisy. Flat bar bends as ramps will walk to the inside.
Quality wiring in a big plus.
You may only need a 14' trailer, but a 16' with a 2' dove tail allows you more options to get your load so that it pulls good without swaying.
If you get a wood floor, look at how it's held down. A lot of trailer MFG'ers do not put enough hold down on them and when the wood dries, it rolls up.
If the boards are not treated, a good wood treatment will be needed, you can buy some or take the time and make your own. Used Motor oil and kerosene and many coats to let it seep in on a hot as hell day will do wonders to keep it from rotting. Seen it, done it.
Hudson's are a great trailer, but lil too narrow for my taste, depends on what you will haul and what you think you may need to haul.
A good mounted spare is nice, two is even better.
Storage box for straps, chains and so on is a necessity.
DOT reflective tape everywhere possible, that stuff is brighter when lights hit it, than the actual lights.
a header bar, to keep something from rolling off the front.
as said, a tag mount that will stand up. You will loose your tag at some point with the cheapie plastic ones.
Do not buy one made of angle, that's for lawn mowers and Suzuki's
all I can think of

I have had 2 seperate 32' Kraftsman Trailers and I will say that will be the only company to get my buisness. Extremely easy to deal with and will build you ANYTHING you can think of. Kaufman did not want to do the custom work when I set out to build my last one.

Couple pics for ya
ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_F550_Pictures009.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_F550_Pictures008.jpg

Back