Our new tow rig - Chevy with surprise inside

thecarman

Well, after a long time looking for a tow rig with more interior room than just a regular cab, Jamie and I flew to TX this past Saturday and drove this back...

aimg_photobucket_com_albums_v126_jfitz_crewcabdiesel_jpg__.jpg

I know it's no fancy new truck, but it's what's inside that counts, right? :)

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v126_jfitz_100_0002_IMG.jpg

Other than a lady potentially having a heart attack on the flight to Dallas so that we had to divert to a landing in Nashville (not major though - she walked off the plane), there were no big surprises. It was a LONG drive back - about 8 hours on Saturday plus about 16 on Sunday (that includes stops for fuel, restroom, food, etc).

The truck ran great on the trip home. LOTS of power - much different than my stock 1990 6.2 diesel Suburban with 3.42 gears. Going through the mountains of TN into NC was really fun. It is nice to hear the turbo spool up.

I averaged 16-17 mpg on the trip home running 70-75 mph with a bed FULL of parts, including some doors sticking up higher than the roof of the truck (power windows in those doors, so could not roll down the windows down for less drag).

I have a few things to do to get it to pass NC inspection (licence plate light, horn, and e-brake cables). Plus I am waiting for some crap with the title to get cleared up - NC DMV says it wasn't done right, I need to get a duplicate title from the seller now and re-do it.

Then I need to add a receiver hitch so I can tow my bumper pull trailer (it just has a gooseneck hitch now), and then I can start on the interior as I get time. I need to get some gauges, and then maybe I can mess with the injection pump a little more. I guess I should start looking for a gooseneck to pull with it too. :)

Full Specs:
1979 GMC K35 (1-ton, 4WD) Single rear wheel
1991 Cummins diesel, injection pump tweaked a little, air filter box cut open
3-inch exhaust with no muffler (sounds KILLER and is not really noticeable when cruising)
5-speed/NP205
D60/14-bolt, 4.10 gears, Gov-Lock in rear
4-inch lift
BIG "Camper Special" leaf packs in rear (factory option for carrying slide-in camper)
33x12.50 ATs
Body redone a few years ago, almost all new sheetmetal (including bedsides). Painted almost exactly like my 1990 K5.
Interior is rough, but came with new carpet and new custom front and rear split bench seats that I need to install.

We have been wanting a Cummins, but really wanted full 4-doors, rather than just extended cab, and we can't afford a new enough Dodge to get the 4-door. So this seems like it will work out nicely! :)

Later!
Richard

nice score! i thought you already had a rollback?

Good score!

Thanks for the compliments! :) I think my wife likes the truck more than I do. I suggested that we might want to lower it to 2-inch lift instead of 4-inch, and she said no. She also wants 35's on it instead of 33's, but I told her we have to see how it pulls first. I guess I can't complain about that. :)

RufusTheRam said:
nice score! i thought you already had a rollback?
Yes, I do have a rollback. But it is 454 (sucks gas) and is only regular cab. Every trip we took with it, it sucked trying to fit luggage inside, or trying to put the luggage on the bed and keep it dry, etc. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rollback (which is still MIA with trans taken out of it), but original plan was to convert it to crew-cab and Cummins. I have a (junked) crew cab to use, just need the Cummins, and the time to do it. :)

Great score! ;)

I am also looking for a new tow rig...Now have a 2004 Toyota Tundra, double cab that SUCKS GAS when trailering my rig. I'm looking for a 2001 or so F-250, crewcab, 4x4 powerstroke diesel....Anyone know someone that wants to trade? Car lot? :D

rockcity said:
A guy at work is thinking of getting rid of his '99 F250 PSD, crew cab, long bed.
Rick, let me know if you are serious.

Rob

Rob,

I'm serious...Just need to off - load the Tundra at the same time.

CJ4PLAY said:
Great score! ;)

I am also looking for a new tow rig...Now have a 2004 Toyota Tundra, double cab that SUCKS GAS when trailering my rig. I'm looking for a 2001 or so F-250, crewcab, 4x4 powerstroke diesel....Anyone know someone that wants to trade? Car lot? :D

Stay away from 2003 and 2004. They had many problems with the 6.0 then. 7.3 in 2002 and earlier, and the 2005 and up 6.0's seem to be a lot better.

yeah, we've got a 2003 6.0 and its in the shop more than I can count. mostly little things and all warranty, but it all adds up.

yeah, that GM with the Cummins is rad. Would be a good production vehicle

Rob

Back