Out-of Towner Needs help!

tjcouch

Merry Christmas folks,

I am up from Tampa visiting my relatives in Blowing Rock/Boone, and decided to do a little bit of holiday wheeling.

Long story short: that long stretch of what I thought was snow, was a sheet of ice. I now need a new track bar.

I have a Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm lift with AiRaid suspension.

I see that there is a place in Boone called "High Country 4X4", but in case they do not have it, or are not open tomorrow, can anyone recommend a shop in the area?

Little bit more about me - In addition to the 97 TJ mentioned above I also have a stock 1967 CJ-5. I am an officer with the 4X4 club in Tampa "Suncoast Flatlanders." I get up here several times a year to visit the family - AFTER THE ICE MELTS I would love to hook up with some of you locals and hit the trails. (I was supposed to go to Brown Mountain tomorrow . . . oh well.)

I hope you folks can steer me in the right direction - I really need to hit the road back to Tampa on Tuesday morning.

Cheers,

T.J. Couch

Tarheel4WD charlotte NC, Carolina rock shop Charlotte NC, Galloways richfield NC If you need numbers let me know

track bars aren't a neccessity. you may experience a a little more sway in your steering but nothing that should keep you from driving home. my brother's RE 4" YJ lift instructions said to remove the rear track bar completely. as for the brown mountain trip that you were supposed to go on today, i've heard of a lot of guys that remove their track bar for wheeling (there is an adjustable one on the market that can be "unlocked" for wheeling). you should've gone.

awake said:
track bars aren't a neccessity. you may experience a a little more sway in your steering but nothing that should keep you from driving home. my brother's RE 4" YJ lift instructions said to remove the rear track bar completely. as for the brown mountain trip that you were supposed to go on today, i've heard of a lot of guys that remove their track bar for wheeling (there is an adjustable one on the market that can be "unlocked" for wheeling). you should've gone.

Why would you give advice like that. Honestly how would you feel if he didnt know better and drove off the side of a mountain because of your advice?:rolleyes:

DO NOT DRIVE A TJ WITH NO TRACBAR...

I seriously doubt you would make it out of the mountain with no tracbar on a TJ. The 4 link is barely triangulated at all if any which means you need a tracbar to keep the axle under the jeep. YJ's dont need the trac bar becasue the leaves hold the axle in place.

awake said:

Are you trying to get this guy killed?? People like u need to be banned.

I am guessing that he meant to say "SWAY bars are not necessary."

I have the ORO SwayLoc system that pneumatically disengages when I am off road so I have that covered.

I know you guys aren't too fond of the Florida plates, but jeez, trying to run me off the mountain?! ;)

Is it in any shape to weld? If it could be sleeved with some tubing and welded just to get you home, there would have to be a local welding shop around who could do it.
Josh

Thanks everyone for your help - I just did what Josh suggested and I think I am in good shape.

Thanks again - hope you see you all on the trails when I am back in March.

you can drive one in 4wd without a track bar, it's a little scarry but yes you can do it, even in a TJ. You should be able to find someone around Boone to weld it up, what's the guys name that has the Linex dealership up there? I know he'd hook ya up.

Back