Overlanding Rig

tlucier

Saw this rig at the Petro truck stop at exit 157 off 40/85. Looks like it has a utility bed with tool boxes and a truck bed camper. Some kind of crazy trailer off the back - maybe for hauling another small vehicle. Had Texas plates. Never saw the person driving it so I couldn't ask any questions. Based on a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins. Tires look more suited for highway than anything else. I thought it was pretty neat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389459097.434133.jpg

I imagine the person/owner was in the camper asleep. I can't imagine they cruise around with the pop-up popped-up.

That trailer is about Tits on a Bull useless with those legs right in front of the wheels. It might be "purpose built" but I can't imagine the purpose o_O The truck on the other hand looks like you could work with that :rockon:

My guess is the trailer was made a trailer just to e relocated and repurposed as some else and the guy put mall terrain tires on it for the long trip.

maybe if you unhook it from the truck and lay the tongue down it is a some sort of ramp?

looks like what road tractors use to move vehicles with when they are bob tailing.Is that not the male side of a 5th wheel plate under there?

Going back and looking at the pictures I took it does appear to be a 5'th wheel plate under the trailer. Wish I took more pictures with better details.

damn it Tom, next time go up and wrap on the camper door and get some answers for us:D

looks like what road tractors use to move vehicles with when they are bob tailing.Is that not the male side of a 5th wheel plate under there?
Probably just another typical Cummins owner who things he has a big rig because he has a "C" on the side of his truck.

I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole, it is a trailer for towing his dodge when repoing a truck.

edit -- explains the 5th wh pin, and the tongue on the front, plus the ramp look, and the utility bed.

It's a rig for delivering truck chassis. He probably loads his truck (the dodge) onto the trailer and pulls it behind the big truck he's delivering. Used to work at an ambulance manufacture, I've seen all sorts of similar setups.

How is that single axle trailer going to hold up to that huge truck is it like a tow dolly i must be missing something

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Most of the weight sits on the kingpin.

THAT makes sense, although the kingpin does seem awfully close to the landing gear....

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it doesn't stretch... or pivot... or something... so that the tires end up further from the kingpin.

It's a rig for delivering truck chassis. He probably loads his truck (the dodge) onto the trailer and pulls it behind the big truck he's delivering. Used to work at an ambulance manufacture, I've seen all sorts of similar setups.
Winner! I was guessing close to that. Took a while for others to spot the fifth wheel pin, & other end makes a ramp. Like a few others I've seen, I couldn't explain How it works, until I see it done.

When it's hooked up those wheels may not even sit on the ground, like a piggy back rig.... Im trying to find a picture....

This is my guess.

It's for a piggyback set up and the last 2 trucks are butt to butt and you haul the chase truck bewteen the last 2.

1. Semi truck backs under the back of trailer and hooks to king pin you see at the rear.
2. Trailer is unhooked from Dodge
3. Dodge either backs onto or pulls forward onto trailer. The trailer rails are then bound to the semi truck rails
4. Landing is jacked up raising the trailer tires and rear semi tires off of the ground. Previously connected piggybacks, back under the trailer close to where the coupler is for the Dodge trailer hitch
5. Landing gear is lowered until the plate you see under the front of the trailer bolts to the frame rails of the last piggyback semi
6. Landing gear is raised all the way
7. Since the trailer and tail of the last truck frame are bounde together, the trailer wheels and the semi truck rear wheels stay suspended. Only the front wheels of the last truck being pulled backwards are touching.

Back