Pack it in, pack more out.

NC4x4

So I am taking this opportunity to get on my soap box about trail litter and also to show off a really useful and cool addition to any rig.

Over the weekend my wife, Lisa, 2 buddies and I all headed to our local wheeling spot. The trail is the only legal public trail we have around here. The trail is called Hurricane Creek and it is a very mild trail, but fun.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_Trasharoo_and_Hurricane_Creek_002.jpg

As we were taking in the beauty of a wooded canopy trail with the sounds of a creek in the background, I began to notice empty beer cans, soda bottles and general trash everywhere. What makes people do this? Every year we wheelers lose more and more public land upon which to enjoy motorized activities. Bureaucracy plays a role in this, as does bad press regarding our hobby.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_Trasharoo_and_Hurricane_Creek_019.jpg

Do ya think trash on the side of THE ONLY PUBLIC TRAIL in western NC helps our fight?

No it doesn't.

Enter the Trasharoo.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_Trasharoo_and_Hurricane_Creek_018.jpg

I first learned about the Trasharoo at the Overland Journal Rally at the Flats earlier this year. The Trasharoo is an offroad trash bag that looks like a giant backpack. The 'Roo is designed to fit around the spare tire on your OHV but can be fitted most anywhere. It is held in place with 2 adjustable straps that snap together around a spare tire, roll cage or most anything, really. For more information about the Trasharoo, check out: www.trasharoo.com

We wheeled about 4 miles or so on Hurricane Creek trail and, between the 4 of us, filled my Trasharoo to almost half full. When I got home I dumped the contents into my shop trash can, washed out the Trasharoo and let it dry. The Trasharoo has drain holes in the bottom, so you can simply hose it out if it gets too nasty.

The Trasharoo doubles as auxiliary storage for your OHV. I can easily fit my tent, sleeping bag and clothes in my Trasharoo for camping/overlanding trips. Need somewhere to keep your firewood dry in an open top Jeep? No problem.

aimg.nc4x4.net_wp_2011_09_Trasharoo_and_Hurricane_Creek_013.jpg

I take my Trasharoo on every wheeling trip I attend now. Even if there is no trash on the trail, it gives you and your buddies a place to put bottles, cans, snack food wrappers, etc., during the day.

I like that if someone sees me using my Trasharoo, it will probably encourage them to use it too.

Jody Treadway
Tech Dude

Back