Pad Balancing

Mudbone

I was reading the death wobble thread and thought I would share some relevent info on getting large tires balanced. When I dealt with my first set of over sized tires, SSR 35x12.50R16, I had a hard time getting them balanced. Apparently these tires are known for balancing problems. They are much heavier than your averager 35 inch tire. I had a friend with the same tires and the inside of his wheels were just plastered with stick on weights. They even had problems getting enough weight in one point to obtain a balance. Most of the balancing problems in a tire occur in the tread. The further from the axis of rotation, the greater impact an out of balance spot has. In order to correct those problems at the wheel you have to use more weight than exists at the problem spot. The larger the tire the bigger the problem. A 44 inch tire with a 4 oz imbalance is going to take far more weight at the rim than a 35 inch tire with a 4 oz imbalance.

There are two balancing tricks that your average local tire shop can't or won't do. I forget the term for the first method. What is done is the balance of the tire and the wheel are detemined seperately. Then the tire is oriented on the wheel such that any imbalace in the wheel is opposite of that in the tire. This minimizes the amount of corrective weight needed. One note. Often this is not very effective with modern forged or spun Al wheels which are basicly in balance when they are made. However steel wheels and even beadlock rims, which are known for being unbalanced, can use this method.
The other method is to pad balance the tire. Its also called patch balancing. I am not sure how many folks out there know about this. It took me three months of looking for solutions before someone even told me about it. This method is time intensive and costs more but is very effective. Basicly a weighted pad is laminated to the inside of the tire, opposite of any imbalance. This means that the tire has to be mounted on the wheel and spun on the balancer. The operator has to set the machine to give weight determinations for "at the tread" instead of at the wheel. Then the spot for the weight is marked, the tire and rim are marked so that they can be realigned, and the tire is removed from the wheel. Inside the tire, the back of the tread is scuffed, heated with a heat gun or torch and an adhesive backed weighted pad, also heated, is applied. Basicly once its on there it ain't coming off. The tire is remounted on the wheel and rotated so the alignment marks match and then inflated. The wheel and tire are re spun on the balancer and fine tuned with a few wheel weights. When I had it done on my SSRs, one of them took 17 oz, yeah thats right, AT the tread! Obviously there would have been no way to balance that tire by conventional means. For larger tires, it may be your only option. I know alot of guys just don't bother with it, esp if their truck spends more time off road than on. In that case, something like the golf ball trick will get the job done. However, if you are running big meat on the road you should consider this.
I am aware of only one place in NC that does this and that is Galloways in Richfield. If you know of some place else that is doing this please let me know.

over a pound of weight on a 35? I would have returned it. That's out of spec even for an Interco tire.

Hell, even my boggers balanced with only 2/3 cup of anti-freeze/water mixture, and I guaran-damn-tee you they are heavier than SSR's.

I've heard of people using "Airsoft" plastic air gun beads in each wheel to balance. But I have not tried this trick myself.

I have bought several sets of Swampers from Galloway's and the pad balancing was included in mounting and balancing. It does make a great difference in the ride and wear of big tires. I also think that Bill Martin's in Statesville will pad balance tires.

Well, by the time I got to Galloways, three months after the tires were first mounted, on the second set of wheels, because a idiot at a local tire shop cut up my first set of Al rims, I didn't have a choice. It was either balance it and ride home, or leave my truck at Galloways while I hassled with Interco. Call it a first time learning experience. I haven't had any trouble out of that tire though. I wish someone had sent me to Galloways to start with. And I am hoping to let others know about it also. I am glad to see that there is another shop in NC doing this. It was absolutely pathetic around here in the triangle. 80% of the tire shops didn't even know what I was talking about. One guy told me, "Oh they don't do that anymore, tires come from the factory closer to balance these days." Never heard of the Airsoft pellets before. Wouldn't you need a huge amount to get the weight you need?

You can buy Airsoft pellets at Wal-Mart. You'll need about 2000 for each tire, but you will achieve the BEST balance using this or the anti-freeze method as it's never balanced in a stationary position, nor can it be knocked out of balance.

Your problem tire might not be round. My buddy had a set of 38.5" Gumbos and one of them was oval shaped. It always bounced the truck a little.

Anyone with a hunter machine with Road Force measurment can pad balance tires. We had one at the BMW dealer and it had the option right on the front screen. It will also measure out of roundness of both the tire and rim so you can OEM match them. This is putting the high spot on the tire with the low spot on the rim so the whole assembly is more round. Just watch out, cause a lot of guys don't know how to use the machine properly. I showed the owner at Taylor Auto in Sanford (Where I used to work) how much more his tire balancer would do. (I also calibrated it for the first time since they'd owned it) Which was four years.

wasnt there a discusion on using BB some time ago...

On another note, what PSI are you guys running. It seems people inflate them as high as they can for lower rolling resistance but it might seem, that is part of the problem...

You were absolutly right i realized it last night i kept thinking the wobblin came from my front left tire and when I looked closer the front left tire is out of shape, it oval and its like off set so the oval part isnt in the center of the tire, its over a little bit, how wierd is that? Anyway im gonna throw it on the rear of the truck and hope that helps out.

drkelly said:
Your problem tire might not be round. My buddy had a set of 38.5" Gumbos and one of them was oval shaped. It always bounced the truck a little.

yager said:
wasnt there a discusion on using BB some time ago...
On another note, what PSI are you guys running. It seems people inflate them as high as they can for lower rolling resistance but it might seem, that is part of the problem...

Yeah, Mike I use BB's in my boggers. The rears have had all the small lugs cut out. I used 8oz of BB's in each. That's weight, not volume. I weighed them at the local store on the vegi scales. Very little vibs at 60mph. I would do it again.

As far as tire pressure. I stay around 12 lbs, but when it was a DD I run around 20 lbs.

Rich said:
Hell, even my boggers balanced with only 2/3 cup of anti-freeze/water mixture, and I guaran-damn-tee you they are heavier than SSR's.

I have seen this mentioned on here a couple of times. Can somebody explain this one a little bit for me. I have some 38 TSL's that I need to try that on.

Back