'pane conversion complete

Webbinator

Yep, you heard me right. Got it running this afternoon. This is on a 258 in my CJ7. It fired right up on the first turn of the key. Did have to do some minor adjusting on the idle but other than that, it ran beautifully. I did have to deal with a few leaks at some of the connections but I worked them all out. And yes, I fixed the leaks BEFORE I tried to fire it up. :D I do still need to give it a test around the neighborhood to see how it does under load and excelleration. Can't do that until I get the rear brake line reinstalled and bled. I'm also finishing up swapping in some rear XJ springs for extra wheelbase. All I need to do on that little project is to build and install a traction bar to help control spring wrap. Other than the brake lines that is. It truely never ends.

Yeah, would love to know the parts, cost, etc.. (I have a 258 as well...running MC2100 carb right now)

Sam

Actualy I got real lucky on the parts. My brother-in-law works for a forklift shop and was able to acquire the main parts for me from one of their junkyard trucks. I did have to buy the hoses and fittings though. After many trips to the auto parts store and Lowes for fittings and such, I was finally able to piece it all together. I need to figure up what I have in it so far, but I think it's around a $100 bucks. :D That doesn't include filling one tank. The thing that surprised me the most was when I got one of my tanks filled. I had to pay almost $3 bucks a gallon for propane. Definately need to call around for best pricing on that stuff. I am gonna reserve final judgement on how well it runs until I get it out on the road and wind it out. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Yes, shop around to see what it cost for pane at other places. The two places I get mine done up here are both less than $15 a tank. My welding supply only charges $25 to swap out. I wonder if they will take a steel one in on swap for an Aluminum one??? I am gonna check into that. As of noww, I have 6 tanks, 5 aluminum and 1 steel.

I am interested in which mixer, converter combo you used. I have a 6 banger Jeep I was thinking about changing over also. so I will be watching for your DETAILED write up!

I got the rear brakelines and stuff back on it today. I'm planning for a quick road test in the morning. I'll see what I can do for a write-up afterwards.

Just out of my curiosity, how big of a tank do you have? How long do you expect it to last between fill ups (mileage, time?)?

I believe I understand the benefits off road, but for a street machine does it make much sense?

I'm going to carry 2 tanks. They each hold roughly 8 gallons of LPG. Have no idea on what kind of mileage I might get yet. This is basically a trail rig anyway. I do drive it on the road occassionally between off-road trips just to keep the battery charged good.

Back