Agree with pretty much everything you said.

I like how the congressman signs off with "We need to focus government spending on real priorities, but my top priority remains that we stop spending more money than we take in" right after saying we need to pave roads in the middle of the forest... <SMH>

Sorry...I couldn't get past this part

for Criminal Activity...... prostitution

I can't imagine how much it'd cost you to pick up a hooker, drive her 3 hrs out to the middle of nowhere for 12 seconds, then drive her back.......well, unless you're gonna dump a body....and THEN....

Wait....umm what were we talking about?

Another concern is Speed. I see some 4 wheeler's driving too fast now! And seems we always meet some local folk, on the dusty roads. Everywhere, Most All drive 13-20 mph Over the Speed limit. And the better or wider the road, the Faster they go. The only Small controlling speed factor at Uwh, IS the condition of the Roads. And Any thought that Emergency Service Can't, negotiate the current roads, is Bull Shit! And, Yes, I Was a Volunteer Fireman for 30 years.

So where are all these houses deep in the woods? I assume those people drive to and fro on a daily basis?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if somebody out there just wants a 7 mile paved driveway and is crying wolf. :confused:
Just follow the money. I betcha a dime that somebody out there is related to the congressman, or has business dealings with him. Kinda like when state senator Hoyle bought up a bunch of low cost farmland in southern Gaston County then tried his darndest to get the Garden Parkway (a.k.a. Toll Road to Nowhere) put through there.

IDK what roads up there he wants to pave but paved to Arrowhead or the double parking lot would not be all bad IMHO. I never understood that one section of paved road in there anyway.

IDK what roads up there he wants to pave but paved to Arrowhead or the double parking lot would not be all bad IMHO. I never understood that one section of paved road in there anyway.
That paved part keeps cars with campers from sliding down the bank because the road is downhill and slopes towards the bank.
But like Matt said, follow the money or the family/friends of this congressman, somebody has a business venture that needs these roads paved, maybe a future developement somehow connected to the Forest land

So where are all these houses deep in the woods? I assume those people drive to and fro on a daily basis?

I've stumbled into the neighborhood area late at night more than once and every single time have been approached by a drunk resident screaming and threatening me because "you aint welcome here ya better go back"

They would be a long way ahead to send that money on Leo to patrol more often and at night. To many undesirables out there

I am trying to think back to the first time I saw Forest Service documents requesting bids for a number of paving projects for the FS Roads, I think it was 2012? This has been a long time coming, it's not something new or surprising, at least it shouldn't be. Some may remember the new cell phone tower that was put up not that long ago, that should have been a hint to what was to come for the area. While I can vaguely agree with the throwback feel of having the rugged service roads, I don't see the gravel roads stopping anyone from doing anything "illegal" beyond maybe the point of street racing. Even then you have idiots drifting the corners of the gravel roads like its rally course anyway, so that isn't too far off. The kind off people that don't want to get their car dirty usually are not the type having prostitution drug fueled orgies in the woods. Last time I checked the gravel roads kept the car enthusiasts away (and maybe the upper rung that has fancy Mercedes SUVs), that's about it and that would be the only validity to the street racing theory.

So yes having paved roads may take away from the remote feel of Uwharrie, but so does having cell phone reception, wifi, etc etc. But the reality is there are many businesses within the Uwharrie area that want to see it grow, and that means making sure the infrastructure can handle the growth (which currently it cannot). I don't think Uwharrie will ever loose it's charm, but it will slowly be brought into the 21st century.

So can we race there again? Because that would be awesome

I am trying to think back to the first time I saw having prostitution drug fueled orgies in the woods.

How the hell did i miss this? Paving the roads might be blasphemy to some, but me not knowing about whores and drug fueled orgies at URE is some Bullshit.
How do i sign up to attend?

'Dre...

How the hell did i miss this? Paving the roads might be blasphemy to some, but me not knowing about whores and drug fueled orgies at URE is some Bullshit.
How do i sign up to attend?

'Dre...
Easy there junior...you got to work your way up to pivot man, you just can't show up and reap all the benefits ,you've got to put in some knee time.

Easy there junior...you got to work your way up to pivot man, you just can't show up and reap all the benefits ,you've got to put in some knee time.

But i have! I just escaped from Stump's dungeon last week.
Being a sex slave is tough ya know.
;)

Having just read this...

I hate the dust. But I believe keeping it gravel will discourage some damn developer from taking the whole shooting match away. This is an forest area. Not some "development" (If I can get a hauler with a Jeep on a trailer back in there, thats all the road we need. And First Responders have been getting back through those roads for 50+ years? (As well as "big ol' fire trucks"?)

As jeepinmatt said. Ill bet following the money would indeed expose what is really down the road

Don't know bout Federal roads but my contact with NCDOT tells me paved roads are cheaper and easier to keep up.

I disagree with the OP. Why should only people with 4x4 vehicles have access to public national forest? We have the OHV trails. Why would we want to limit use of the rest of the forest and recreational opportunities to only people like us? I want as many people as possible to enjoy outdoor areas and have the opportunity to appreciate wildlife conservation. Access is a critical part of that.

I think that assuming paved main roads automatically means prostitution and drug use is pretty silly.

Back