Permanent ramps for trailer

Shannon

I have pull out 6 ft ramps right now on my 20 ft trailer. I hate taking them out, they are heavy, and usually wet, which in turn gets me wet. I would like to put permanent fold up ramps on the back. Seems like they have a removable bar and the ramps fit on them. Can you buy ramps already together and the stuff to just weld on the mounts somewhere, or will I have to make everything?

Thanks,
Shannon

I'd say you would probably have to build them yourself or modify your existing ramps.

The ones I've looked at with flip up ramps have 4 brackets welded to the frame with a hole drilled in them. The ramps have a piece of pipe welded to one end. Then another piece of pipe that fits inside the hinge on the ramp simply slides through the brackets and uses hitch pins to keep it from sliding out, but still keeps everything servicable.

Easy fix if you have a welder. Get 8 2in pieces of 3/4 ID pipe weld 2 of them on the back of the trailer and 2 of them on the end of the ramp like -_-_ then use a 3/4 pin with a pull pin and you should have instant fold up ramps. Then you can use a piece of flat stock trailer side with and bolt so it can swivel and the other go over a 1/2 pin or bolt on the ramp. Just an idea :D

Real Low tech, but my trailer uses (I think) 3/4 pipe that slides into 1".
Took 1" and cut into 5 pieces.
Slid 3/4 inside.
Put ramp up to trailer and clamped everything where it was wanted and tacked sections 1 3 5 to trailer and 2 4 to ramps

Pulled bar, set up in better position and burned in...

I can get pics later if want

How has this affected the empty towing of the trailers? Adding the ramps on the back will remove some toungue weight. I have thought about it, but I tow a lot empty on my way to pick things up and I would hate to end up with a trailer that sways when empty. My current ramps slide in the back, but that puts the weight closer to the front then if I weld them on the back edge.

Pics would be great, thanks.

Shannon

ShyHiK5 said:
Real Low tech, but my trailer uses (I think) 3/4 pipe that slides into 1".
Took 1" and cut into 5 pieces.
Slid 3/4 inside.
Put ramp up to trailer and clamped everything where it was wanted and tacked sections 1 3 5 to trailer and 2 4 to ramps
Pulled bar, set up in better position and burned in...
I can get pics later if want

Redneck solution is to put a tool box on front of the trailer to hold your chains and such!

Shannon

Down&Dirty said:
How has this affected the empty towing of the trailers? Adding the ramps on the back will remove some toungue weight. I have thought about it, but I tow a lot empty on my way to pick things up and I would hate to end up with a trailer that sways when empty. My current ramps slide in the back, but that puts the weight closer to the front then if I weld them on the back edge.

Down&Dirty said:
How has this affected the empty towing of the trailers?

I really don't think that will make that much of a difference. Even slide-ins (unless reeeeeaaaalllllyy long), are still aft of the axle. And you are only talking about a couple hundred pounds total.

I've had more agravation with fold-up ramps as opposed to slide-ins. Like hauling a big station wagon once, ramps couldn't fold up because of the overhang. And they, on this trailer, were not removable. Took some creative lashing with a ratchet strap to get them to stay.

Besides, it's a Jeep. Who needs ramps? :D :driver:

Slide-in's are way more useful than fold-up's in my opinion.
ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e177_scorpion2076_new_20pics_trl1.jpg

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e177_scorpion2076_new_20pics_trl5.jpg

Actually, I don't even need the ramps at all for my '85, but I use them for the '89...lol

ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e177_scorpion2076_new_20pics_trl6.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

kaiser715 said:
I've had more agravation with fold-up ramps as opposed to slide-ins. Like hauling a big station wagon once, ramps couldn't fold up because of the overhang.

I solved this by my redneck latching method. Ramps are maintained by a piece of 1/4" plate welded to ramp with a notch to hook chain in. Chains are welded to trailer frame. Chains are long enough to allow ramps to be all the way "back" to vertical and keep 2 short lengths of chain and bolts/washers/nuts in trailer box to lengthen if need be...

Back