Pickin’ tars and tar sizes

Wondering out loud as I prepare to ride over to Kvegas to pick up my 2nd set of Moabs…

Just how bad would bias 33 TSLs be on the street…

Just how good would Trail Graps or KM3s be offroad…

KM3s would be much better offroad than bias TSLs on the the street IMO. A radial TSL closes that gap a whole lot if that's an option.

Again..depends on what you're wanting out of it.

Hard to beat a bias ply TSL on this coast offroad.

My 36's have seen 75mph on 311 (well..74 :shaking:) numerous times. No issues. Granted, doesn't ride like my STT pros do onroad, but my STT pros never performed 1/2 as well as my TSL's offroad. If this is a SECOND set of wheels, no reason to get a second set that rides well on the road.

@BigClay was in your shoes a year or so ago swapping wheels/tires He might have better incite about your particular situation.

Personally i'd go all out with bias TSL's if I had road wheels/tires.

I will admit: tl:dr

in response to @CasterTroy i had a set of 35” BFG ATs on a set of wheels I ran on the street and then the 36” TSLs on beadlocks on the trail. Frankly I got fed up with changing wheels and tires. I sold the BFGs and just run the TSLs all the time. I have mine balanced with air soft dead’s and she crusades on the highway at 66 mph (see what I did there) with ease, especially on a warm day. BUT if this was a DD, no way I would run these

Well, I am not pushed to make a decision really. Perhaps a set of MT radials to start and then if I end up getting more serious in wheeling it I’ll get a set of bias.

Wheels are here and aren’t eating a thing. They may get powder coated black.

How much of a deal are radial TSL sidewalls splitting? Compared to a Toyo MT or a KM3 lets say?

How do SSR radials compare?

Trxus? Supposedly Trxus have a lot of sipes and are good on road with great sidewalls.

Wondering out loud as I prepare to ride over to Kvegas to pick up my 2nd set of Moabs…

Just how bad would bias 33 TSLs be on the street…

Just how good would Trail Graps or KM3s be offroad…
Bias TSLs compared to any radial will not compare favorably... just like the radials can't take the offroad abuse the TSLs will endure (sidewalls can take cuts deeper than a radial sidewall total thickness... I have a few that are 1/4"+ and have been that way for years without any issues)
I have mine balanced with air soft dead’s and she crusades on the highway at 66 mph (see what I did there) with ease, especially on a warm day. BUT if this was a DD, no way I would run these
I've got heavy DIY beadlocks and use the same airsoft pellets... takes a few miles (longer when cooler) for them to round out, but my Swamper/Bogger combo will smooth out and run faster than the rest of the pile will allow

Well what I’m wondering is just how tough are Trxus and radial TSL/SSR sidewalls compared to more mainstream MTs like BFG or Toyo.

@shawn mentioned the TSL radials seem to have sidewall issues but is that compared to bias TSLs or all tires including regular MTs?

I’m not a baller and $1500 for 5 tires isn’t something I want to end up hating. If I can get better off-road performance from Trxus and good on-road manners (seem to be rated well for this) then great but if they aren’t really tougher than BFGs I will save my money.

I’m in no hurry but want to be getting it nailed down. Getting a complete second set of tires is still on the table and if I go that route it’ll be TSLs or LTBs.

Truxus is basically a regular MT like BFG, Nitto, Toyo, etc. Unless you are referring to the STS, might as well get a Thornbird.
No the regular Trxus MT.

Well I have found Toyos to treat me well in the past. BFG last time were not so good….

Unless they have changed the Truxus and the SSR I think they are the Earlier generation of Radial M/T design and still 2 ply sidewall. I loved the SSR's I had 20 years ago but that was 20 years ago and Radial M/T offerings have improved since then. I have witnessed a few SSR's have sidewall issue and the Trxus were noted for rapid wear on the street not to mention the Interco cost premium. I stated in the other recent tire thread that from what I've witnessed all of the current top tier radial M/T's are relatively even in performance. I've either had good experience with or witnessed Maxxis RAZR's, BFG M/T's, Cooper STT Pros, Nitto Trail Graplers, etc. and I wouldn't hesitate to choose any of them based on price and availability. I have seen the Falken Wild Peaks once and was equally impressed but it was only 1 ride.
However for Southeast wheeling the regular TSL is better than any of them off road and Stickies are the ultimate of which I hear the Treps recommended a lot.

I stumbled across this article and thought it was interesting.

Other than ATV, tractor and trailer tires…the last bias tire I ran was on my first car, my 69 Charger I bought from the original owner. When they wore out I put a set of new Eagle ST radials on it but honestly don’t remember it being a night/day difference.

I also don’t remember them flat spotting overnight or being squirrelly on the road. I know they were 14” street tires compared to mud tires…

I may opt for a set of TSLs and just see how tolerable they are. I have my AT tires still so I can go back and forth easily.

I just go to town on it or ride the parkway, it only sees hwy if I go to Winston or maybe go to JoCo to see family.

I will be replacing my Super Duty soon so I won’t have to daily it unless I want to.

16" Moabs?

Yeah you're pretty limited to metric. Not because they don't MAKE them...supposedly they MAKE TSL's in the 33x13/16LT flavor but I'd buy you a drink if you can FIND some. (a cheap drink..cuz I may be proven wrong at any moment)

With 3" you're not putting 35's under there without heartburn at full lock/flex.

33's will scrub, even pizza cutters. Depends on what you're you're looking for offroad (rocks, mix, mud)
Hey with the right fenders and bumpstops you can fit 35's with 2.5-3" of lift. Plus wheel spacers and probably a few other mods I've done forgotten.
20181005_094106.jpg

From the sounds of what the end goal is there's no way anything from interco would be on my list of tires, especially being on 16's. My personal favorites are MTR/k, though the stt pro, km3, and trail grappler.

Hey with the right fenders and bumpstops you can fit 35's with 2.5-3" of lift. Plus wheel spacers and probably a few other mods I've done forgotten.
You've been off the trail far too long!!!

😎

I have to agree on this. They cost a little more, but for street driven rig they work well and last pretty well too.

X2 on this!
On a 8000lb truck they held up fantastically, on a TJ they’ll wear like iron I’d imagine.

How difficult would it be to add rock rings to a set of 15” XJ wheels like these?

1624383579225.jpeg

@willness33 how are those Geolander MTs doing now that they’re balanced?
So far so good. A little more noise than a bfg AT but not like a swamper. They have good manners at all speeds and have good grip in the slop. Probably will buy again for the wife's jeep when needed. 1500 miles in and the titties are just wearing off.

Back