Pinion Depth Question?

buggybuilder

Anybody know the checking depth of a pinion for a Dana 35 rear?......the pinion has no markings.Or does anybody know of a good starting shim stack to use?
The front pinion had the checking depth but the rear has nothing?I called superior and they said the checking depth was .030?WTF? He didint know what he was talking about.Maybe a good starting shim stack is .030?Any help would be apprecaited.:D

cmon man........trying to make a little money on the side......I am gonna run d35's in my next buggy though.......

Does anybody have any info?

Cool i will start out with .040.Also the factory carrier came out with some really thick cast steelor iron spacers istalled between the carrier bearings and the housing.Do you reuse these along with shims between the carrier bearings and the carrier?

I thought a Dana 35 used shims between the housing and bearing race. I don't know about any shims between the carrier bearing and the carrier. Unless I misunderstood you you have shims beteen the carrier bearings-carrier and shims between the housing-bearing races?? What did your D35 come out of?

Rockwagon said:
If you got to ask you are probaly in over your head:flipoff2: :flipoff2: By the way have I told that YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! today:gay:

You wanna see in over your head..........I think that was you today PAL!!!

rbo1577186 said:
I thought a Dana 35 used shims between the housing and bearing race. I don't know about any shims between the carrier bearing and the carrier. Unless I misunderstood you you have shims beteen the carrier bearings-carrier and shims between the housing-bearing races?? What did your D35 come out of?

OK Im good now......shims between the bearing race and housing only....I read somewhere that all dana axles had shims installed on the carrier under the bearings......no biggie.....thanks.

I usually press the old bearing off of the old pinion to retrieve the shim. Then start with that one. I also recomend using a setup bearing/old bearing that has been ground so that it slides on and off easily. Then I install the pinion with out the seal and crush sleeve till it is snug and turns with just a bit of drag. You can try to reuse the cast shims to see what the backlash and pattern turn out like. They don't like to be hammered on too much, though. Then after I find the shim package I like, I dissassemble and install the bearing, seal crush sleeve, and so on.

OK........here goes.....No offense intended to anyone.........
This is not my first gear install.I know how to do it with the try this shim combo/try that shim combo.....I was trying to avoid that.Normally there will be a measurement on the pinion somewhere that shows the pinion depth that the factory lapped the gears in with,then you try to duplicate that measurement in the housing.Well for some reason or another this pinion doesnt have a measurement on it,so there in lies my problem.I was hoping someone has done a D35 recently and had a reference to how deep they set the pinion.There were no shims under the head of the pinion between the bearing and the pinion.I believe they are between the bearing race and the housing.There were no shims for the carrier but the big cast shims.I have broken these also pounding them in.
I need the dimension from the centerline of the ring gear to the head of the pinion..........:smokin:

buggybuilder said:
.Normally there will be a measurement on the pinion somewhere that shows the pinion depth that the factory lapped the gears in with,:
buy precision gears they have all that crap stamped on them...otherwise you have to know what you're doing..:flipoff2:

buggybuilder said:
cmon man........trying to make a little money on the side......I am gonna run d35's in my next buggy though.......

why are you going to use d35's????? i hope you are going to change the axles

BIGWOODY said:
buy precision gears they have all that crap stamped on them...otherwise you have to know what you're doing..:flipoff2:

I guess I dont know what im doing then......:flipoff2:

There were no shims under the head of the pinion between the bearing and the pinion.I believe they are between the bearing race and the housing.

Your right the pinion shim is behind the rear race, not the bearing. I'd put it together with the existing shims and see how it turns out.

yager said:
Master housing dimension for D35 = 3.813

btw: thats to the rear/bottom of the pinion head (or the top of the race)
Thank you......thats all i wanted to know out of all this mess.......Now I have a Definite starting point......should cut down on my guess work.Thanks alot....:huggy:

Back