Place to buy plastic glass...??

phatmax95

I am looking for some plastic glass, plexi-glass I guess.. but I want something thick maybe 1/4" and stiff.. Also scratch resistant.. Sort of like the stuff on rear hatch SUV's.. the ones that pop up..

So does anyone know of a local place to get some stuff like that? I basically am wanting to replace my rear glass window..

Thanks,
Tyler

Plexie Glass, or Lexan(name brand for polycabonate) will both scratch. Lexan being the stronger. Try looking at both glass gealers or race shops.
I don't know of any SUV's that come with this stuff.

Yes, that stuff scratches easily. The stuff on the rear hatch of SUF's is glass.

I agree Lexan is the better of the two and you can get a polish that will help cover the scratches.

Stay away from plexi-glass, it shatters easily. I run 1/4" lexan installed in my stock frame. Just have to be careful not to try to wipe it off, does scratch fairly easy. And don't accidently turn your wipers on. I got my lexan from a local glass dealer.

And Lexan isn't cheap!!

There is an alternative, don't know how well it'll hold up, but it is VERY flexable.. It's called "Opti-flex" or something like that.. I picked up a couple of sheets from Lowe's to go behind the seats on my buggy. It is acrylic/plexi-glass, but far more flexable than any I've seen before. DO NOT use it on your windshield though!!

UV from the sun will also turn it milky over time. Get a few scratches on it let it haze over a bit, then try to drive with the sun in your face. Glass may be cheaper in the long run.

Hmm.. thanks for the input guys..

I haven't looked THAT good at Lowes but from what I remember they only had this soft kinda acrylic plexigl**** didn't look very tough. I'll have to go look again..

I guess I was under the impression that the hatchs on the newer SUV's were not glass they seem pretty light. Even on some minivans.. coulda swore some were plastic..

It's going to be the back gl**** so its not as important as a windshield so some scratches are ok.. just as long as it is somewhat tough.

Some are lighter because of the mateial the lift gate is made of. Fiberglass and plastic, not metal

upnover said:
Some are lighter because of the mateial the lift gate is made of. Fiberglass and plastic, not metal

That, and the struts that help open the gate!
When I bought the lexan for my windshield, it was like $235 or so (Can't remember exact price) for a 4x8 sheet. Any reason you don't want glass?

Yeah I just went by Lowes they had a sheet that would work but it was $50.. More than I wanted to spend..

I have the glass thats in there now.. But I don't feel comfortable drilling holes into it for the hinges etc.. I may have to find a way to use glue.

I think I have a rear windshield off a race car you may be interested in - It's never been used, but the contour may not be what you are looking for - you may be able to make it work - let me know if interested.

lexan

You cant drill holes in tempered glass ( it will have a stamp on it somewhere )It blows up.Thats what you would find in a back glass .If I were looking to install something I needed to drill holes in I would use 3/6 or 1/4 lexan about 8.00 sq ft . Plexi cracks way to easy I know I cut lexan and plexi about every day.:gitrdun:

The Lowe's plexiglass will work as a windshield. I had to make an emergency repair in Georgia...it lasted the whole ~8hr trip home.
100_0877_.JPG

2 sheets of 1/8" and I put a center support to avoid a facefull of plastic. After I got it home, I even rigged up the driver's side wiper and drove it for a few months.

RenegadeT said:
2 sheets of 1/8"

Hmm.. good idea if its cheaper.. Was it? Could you tell it was 2 pieces? I guess if dirt got in you could but other than that..?

If I can't find plexi for cheaper.. I may try to make a metal frame all the way around the glass I have now, and use that to mount it to the hinges and lock.

Or find a caravan or something that is close to the same size rear window and adapt that..

RDDC said:
I think I have a rear windshield off a race car you may be interested in - It's never been used, but the contour may not be what you are looking for - you may be able to make it work - let me know if interested.

I would, but I don't need any countour, it needs to be flat. But thanks for the offer :)

Back