Playground/Patio umbrellas

jeepinmatt

..l.
Spec'ing out an umbrella for the outdoor area at my company's new building, and I see there are 12x12ft umbrellas for $500 at Home Depot and $5000 for industrial grade options online. Is there a justifiable difference? We will need 2, and they will be mounted in concrete, so I'm thinking a cantilever style, but I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to this topic.

From what I have learned from my wife is, Home Depot, Lowes and the other "homeowner" stores are just that. Homeowner quality and are ment for the average home to use it periodically. Where as a commercial grade is designed to last longer with the abuse of day to day use.

I bought 2 of these 3 years ago.
Put the covers on them over each winter, but now the fabric has faded enough I am thinking about replacing them, probably after this season. In good shape otherwise.

Commercial might use a higher grade material that won't fade as fast. Maybe not.

JEAREY 10 Feet Double Top Round... Amazon.com

From what I have learned from my wife is, Home Depot, Lowes and the other "homeowner" stores are just that. Homeowner quality and are ment for the average home to use it periodically. Where as a commercial grade is designed to last longer with the abuse of day to day use.
Certainly, but at a 10x cost factor, we aren't talking 10x more functionality, but I also don't want to replace it 10x as often.

Certainly, but at a 10x cost factor, we aren't talking 10x more functionality, but I also don't want to replace it 10x as often.
I had a 10’ cantilever style from Lowe’s at my place at the lake for 7 years when I got rid of the place. I gave it to a neighbor there and I assume they are still using it. It had faded a little but still worked like new.

Commercial Canopy Tents, duh!

Screenshot_20240320_132118_Samsung Internet.jpg

Spec'ing out an umbrella for the outdoor area at my company's new building, and I see there are 12x12ft umbrellas for $500 at Home Depot and $5000 for industrial grade options online. Is there a justifiable difference? We will need 2, and they will be mounted in concrete, so I'm thinking a cantilever style, but I'm dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to this topic.

How dead set are you on umbrella style?
In my experience, the less "built" it is, the less chinese shit there is to break, rust, or generally go to shit.
The stuff rolling out of HD an Lowes these days is very sad.

1710962580526.png

How dead set are you on umbrella style?
In my experience, the less "built" it is, the less chinese shit there is to break, rust, or generally go to shit.
The stuff rolling out of HD an Lowes these days is very sad.

View attachment 414540
Yeah, I’ve seen those, but not sure if they would be in the (unspecified) budget.

Big ass sunbrella triangles are cheap. And you're a handy guy - I'm sure you could figure out a way to hang them.

Big ass sunbrella triangles are cheap. And you're a handy guy - I'm sure you could figure out a way to hang them.

jeepinmatt's expense report:

1 sunbrella triangle $500.00
1 rope $5.00
3 mini-excavators aka tent poles $120,000.00

There’s a lot of things I could do for this project, but that comes with zero additional pay and a loss of time at home, so that’s a no for me dawg.

Let's be honest here.
You will be gone before either version needs replacing...

Let's be honest here.
You will be gone before either version needs replacing...
You’re probably not wrong 🤷‍♂️

Back