Polaris RZR 170 swapped to Sportsman 500 engine/4x4

Tacoma747

Bought this a few months ago, still working some of the quirks out but so far I definitely can't complain. Had to tow it in this picture because a coolant line came loose. Thinking of taking them to Uwharrie with it soon as the trails at the house get a little repetitive. If anyone needs an absolute awesome rig for kids, I highly recommend making a similar setup. I didn't want a RZR 170 because the suspension is horrible and being 2wd, but I wanted a RZR 170 because they can 'legally' drive it at Uwharrie, etc as it is made for kids (10+). Our trail through the woods requires 4x4 in numerous places.

It's a carbureted sportsman 500 donor, I would love EFI but at least a carburetor is simple. Still trying to get it to run reliably in all situations though. It is very stable, will carry a front or rear tire 1-2' in the air and still feel stable. GPS'd speed in low gear is comfortable at about 20, but tops out probably around 30. The steering is a little wonky so it's not all that stable above 20, I think it's an issue with the steering being out of adjustment (toe).

It needs a lot of stuff replaced still (front brake pads, CV's, rear bearings, etc) but luckily parts are super easy to find and relatively cheap. Bought it for $3700 (including new rear brake pads, an extra clutch, and new front axles) which was about the going rate of a decent RZR 170. I have simplified the wiring some (some people have no business doing wiring!!!) but still need to rework some of the wiring, it also needs a skid plate in the center.

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_170221211_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221128_170221211_HDR.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 296
Bought this a few months ago, still working some of the quirks out but so far I definitely can't complain. Had to tow it in this picture because a coolant line came loose. Thinking of taking them to Uwharrie with it soon as the trails at the house get a little repetitive. If anyone needs an absolute awesome rig for kids, I highly recommend making a similar setup. I didn't want a RZR 170 because the suspension is horrible and being 2wd, but I wanted a RZR 170 because they can 'legally' drive it at Uwharrie, etc as it is made for kids (10+). Our trail through the woods requires 4x4 in numerous places.

It's a carbureted sportsman 500 donor, I would love EFI but at least a carburetor is simple. Still trying to get it to run reliably in all situations though. It is very stable, will carry a front or rear tire 1-2' in the air and still feel stable. GPS'd speed in low gear is comfortable at about 20, but tops out probably around 30. The steering is a little wonky so it's not all that stable above 20, I think it's an issue with the steering being out of adjustment (toe).

It needs a lot of stuff replaced still (front brake pads, CV's, rear bearings, etc) but luckily parts are super easy to find and relatively cheap. Bought it for $3700 (including new rear brake pads, an extra clutch, and new front axles) which was about the going rate of a decent RZR 170. I have simplified the wiring some (some people have no business doing wiring!!!) but still need to rework some of the wiring, it also needs a skid plate in the center.
Dammit. Came here thinking it was a for sale thread. :laughing:

do you have more pictures or info as to what the swap entails? I assume that you have to have a rzr170 and a sportsman 500 to cannibalize and make 1? or is there some conversion kit out there to build the rzr from scratch?

do you have more pictures or info as to what the swap entails? I assume that you have to have a rzr170 and a sportsman 500 to cannibalize and make 1? or is there some conversion kit out there to build the rzr from scratch?

Not a conversion kit. The guy I got it from bought it from the builder, he said the builder got the idea from someone else, but that they only know of two that have been done. Basically, it's the sportsman front and rear suspension with a frame built between to stretch the wheelbase. The RZR frame was spliced on the top (not real sure what is RZR frame and what is sportsman honestly). The steering rack is off a RZR (not s 170) as the sportsman didn't use a rack and pinion I don't think. The below picture probably is the most important part, the engine was relocated on top of the transmission instead of in front of it.

received_383851003911881.jpeg

Not a conversion kit. The guy I got it from bought it from the builder, he said the builder got the idea from someone else, but that they only know of two that have been done. Basically, it's the sportsman front and rear suspension with a frame built between to stretch the wheelbase. The RZR frame was spliced on the top (not real sure what is RZR frame and what is sportsman honestly). The steering rack is off a RZR (not s 170) as the sportsman didn't use a rack and pinion I don't think. The below picture probably is the most important part, the engine was relocated on top of the transmission instead of in front of it.

View attachment 386482
very interesting. I assume they widened the axles and suspension, or is it sub 50"?

Well Matt isn’t gonna ever outgrow it so he’s got time to wait!
Heck I am 6'6 and I can fit in it. It's not comfortable by any means and if I flipped over I'd definitely have a concussion. Wide people would have more trouble I imagine.

Blown headgasket. Pulled the motor out today, lucky me I have an awesome father in law that volunteered to tear into the engine so I can spend time rebuilding everything else it needs. Probably took around 2 hours to pull the motor out, factoring in time spent being distracted with other things for a bit here and there.

Just sell it to me as is :D

Tore the engine apart today, piston pin was seized to connecting rod/piston, but with some heat got it apart. I can buy a whole topend kit for like $100-150, but the crankshaft timing gear that is missing a couple teeth is $250. The replacement gear is aftermarket, an OEM gear was $20 (but no longer made).

Back