Posi-lok.. other options?

Rich

Asshole at large
For the tow rig. The actuator is finally fooked after 252k.

I want the ability for 2 low, so the one that locks the collar in the 'engaged' position isn't for me.

~$200 is alot to swallow for this thing, though I'm sure the actuator housing wasn't cheap to make.

The only other home built I've seen used a lawnmower throttle cable, and the OEM actuator housing with a spring inside... seemed a little hokey.

2 lo

Did you mean you want the ability to use low range without locking the front axle? I have a switch mounted on my t-case lever that controls the push/pull vaccum to the front axle for activation of the axle. I use low range alot for backing trailers, don't have to slip the clutch for slow travel. Works great, if this is what you are looking for I will try to find the name of the kit.

This came up recently in a discussion about cable actuated transfer case shifters on the JCCA forum...

McMaster has a pretty decent selection of cables and towers, but you might well have over $200 in when all is said and done...

:beer:

If it is the same actuator unit found in jeeps, the dealer sell a rebuild kit for 50-75 bucks IIRC. I think I may have a few layin around if they are similar.

I should have been more clear. Every part of the system is gone. The vacuum switch no longer passes vacuum to the proper line, and the actuator is frozen. (And yes, I've take it apart, cleaned it, etc.)

And, I don't like the whole damn setup anyway.

Rich said:
For the tow rig. The actuator is finally fooked after 252k.
I want the ability for 2 low, so the one that locks the collar in the 'engaged' position isn't for me.
~$200 is alot to swallow for this thing, though I'm sure the actuator housing wasn't cheap to make.
The only other home built I've seen used a lawnmower throttle cable, and the OEM actuator housing with a spring inside... seemed a little hokey.

With that kind of miles, I'd be happy if that is all that is wrong. I know 3 people with those that have had to replace most everything on frontend. All steering, unit bearings, track bar, axle joint, and all that disconect BS. Geoff even FU axle shafts, and his truck eats inner brake pads.

If you want another option to fix, get one piece shaft. Better yet, swap in 78-79 ford front.:huggy:

What do you need 4wd for anyway? You going to tow in the snow?

tempoffroad said:
With that kind of miles, I'd be happy if that is all that is wrong. I know 3 people with those that have had to replace most everything on frontend. All steering, unit bearings, track bar, axle joint, and all that disconect BS. Geoff even FU axle shafts, and his truck eats inner brake pads.

What do you need 4wd for anyway? You going to tow in the snow?

Unit Bearings, ball joints, track bar(s), blah blah blah have all been done before. This is my only CURRENT problem. :lol:

As a matter of fact, I have towed in the snow... BUT, I use 4wd most often for getting my trailer out from where it's kept. 95% of the time, it's required, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Back