power problems

CJ-usa

I have a 1979 cj-7 that I just did a carb swap on. Got rid of the BBD and went with the 2100 motorcraft. Now the problem Im having is power. This is a new carb I put on it and it seems to have had more power with the bbd then the 2100. It will back fire through the carb if I gas it hard. I have checked my timing, changed the cap, the button, wires and plug. I have the TFI upgrade on it. The only thing I have not changed is the coil. I took some carb spray and checked for leaks, nothing. The only thing I might see wrong is the jets. One is 47 and the other is 49. Factory did this scew-up:flipoff2: . Im out of ideas. If anyone could think of something else, that would be great!
Jason

I've never had an issue with a power valve, but IIRC, folks that run 2100s on 258s have to dick them to get them dialed in... or replace them, especially after a backfire!

:beer:

Mine did this when I Installed it, poped the top an lowered the fuel level in the bowl about 1/8" an was fine after that, the back firing seems more ignition related, I took the box off of mine before the carb. up date, I know the electronic ignition suxs on a jeep, I did the HEI upgrade.

Ya I just did that..... runs better now. I have the TFI upgrade on it now. I like it! Now Im thinking about selling my cj. I have found another toy I want. If you know anyone who is looking for one let me know. Thanks!
Jason

Back