PowerStop Brake Kits

YJJPWrangler

Brakes are squealing on the Tundra. I can't actually remember the last time I redid the brakes but since I have a trailer for the Willys now I want to upgrade them. Found these two sets on Summit.

Carbon Ceramic
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k2952-36/year/2007/make/toyota/model/tundra

Regular Plated
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k2952/year/2007/make/toyota/model/tundra

Probably going to go Ceramic as its only a few bucks more. Is there another option or brand I need to look at?

I'd go with the ceramic, but also be aware of this; Several mechanics have told me over the years, that they Only replace Toyota brakes, with Toyota brakes. Any other brand will Squeal! That's on cars, I can't speak for trucks.

They're pretty decent for a cheap pad from what I hear. I'm not sure if I'd pay for their rotors though, they've never seemed like they are anything special, and the pads themselves are only $75 for the entire truck (RockAuto).

Well the rotors have been replaced, probably around 120k. I'm at 196k on the odometer right now so they need to be replaced.

@rodney eppes thats interesting. A few years after I bought it, I had the drivers caliper pop a seal. I replaced it with an autozone model(not toyota OEM) and replaced the pads. Never had an issue out of them until now.

Looks like Ill be ordering the set from Summit and I might just spring for the front and rear from summit with the powerstop kit. Ill save $40 and get all new rotors and pads.

It still stops fine right now, just is starting to make a bit of noise and squeal and I don't want to tow my brand new(new to me) trailer with the Willys on it with subpar brakes.

Thanks for the responses guys :beer:

My last truck, 98 Chevy 1500, was in the years that had the sponge, for a brake pedal. Even brand new Everything, done by Meineke, made no difference! I bought just the front pads from Power Stop. Already had new rear shoes, & the front did about 80% of the stopping. PS pads, firmed up the pedal feel, & stopped with much less effort!

One thing to remember is to follow they're break in procedure. It really helps bed in the brakes. I now do the same anytime I put any brakes on anything.
Speaking from experience, just don't overdo it. That flickering under your truck won't be a streetlight. It'll be your brakes on fire.

Speaking from experience, just don't overdo it. That flickering under your truck won't be a streetlight. It'll be your brakes on fire.
IIRC, the procedures say get it up to like 35-40mph and lay into the brakes several times...not 80 :flipoff2:

They have a very descriptive process on the box for the power stop pads.

Iirc, 5 stops from 30-5, but not panic and don’t stop completely,

Then 5 more from 40-5, get on them pretty hard,

Then let them cool off before ever coming to a complete stop.

You can feel them bedding in as stopping force and distance get better each time.

IIRC, the procedures say get it up to like 35-40mph and lay into the brakes several times...not 80 :flipoff2:
Maybe for those wussy Powerstop jokes. Performance Friction begs to differ. See below, emphasis mine :D :
Performance Friction Brake Pads Bedding in Procedure
The following procedure is for PFC (Performance Friction Corporation) Carbon Metallic pads and PFC discs.

Due to PFC’s race proven technology, unlike other manufacturer’s brake products, it is recommended that new discs be bedded with new pads (only applicable to PFC discs). This will ensure that two flat surfaces are bedded, thus providing the optimum braking solution.

During the bedding process the driver must not drag the brakes by applying continuous pedal effort with his left foot to induce heat into the braking system. This will cause heat build up too quickly and result in glazed pads.

Likewise, the driver must ensure that the following procedure is adhered to and sufficient heat is generated in the braking system, otherwise the pads are prone to glazing if run too cold during the early stages of the pad’s life.

Whilst bedding, brake applications should be consistent and using constant pedal effort, which is progressively increased throughout the procedure.

5 light snubs*, light pedal application: 50mph – 30mph

5 medium snubs, medium pedal application: 70mph – 40mph

3 hard snubs, hard pedal application (no ABS activation): 100+mph – 30mph**

Cool down period – 5 mile run with very little brake (Do not sit at side of road with foot resting on brakes when hot, this is likely to damage the disc).

Stop and examine discs – discs should show evidence of heat cycle (colouration in flange) and possess an even transfer layer of pad material on surfaces.

Bedding procedure should now be complete.

* Snub is the term used for the deceleration of a vehicle from a relatively high speed to a low speed using constant brake pedal effort.

** PFC is not responsible for any convictions as a result of this bedding procedure. The location as to where the brakes are bedded is at the driver’s own discretion and entirely his/her own responsibility.

Back