Propane application

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
While scavenging thru a local scrap yard I come across a few old fork lifts. Upon further inspection I found they have Impco 100 mixers. These are all four cylinder engines, of various types and sizes. Not sure of the calculations for what will work with what and what kinda of flow each of the systems have. I know there are some 225's on big blocks, and also 225 Impcos on Jeep 258 engines. But, I was wondering if these things would flow enough for something like a stock Sammy 1.3??? WHatcha think.

a 100cfm unit would be enough to fully feed a 1.3 L motor at 6000rpm.

Equation- engine c.i. x max rpm / 3456 * 0.7 = cfm

However, slightly undersizing the mixer (or oversizing the engine for the mixer) will help low-end power, so you could probably use that on a 1.6 something or other.

That said, my engine only needs 300cfm, and I'm running a 425, and the low-end is great, so take it with a grain of salt.

Chip, if you find another 425/model E combo, I know a guy who wants one.

Kewl! But, I don't own a sammy! soooo I guess I will try and find an intake and work on an adapter for one. Then maybe I can sell a few of them.

I have been trying to buy several, but WOW, when gasolene went up, so did the demand for these things. So generally speaking, it is cheaper to buy a starter kit from www.propaneguy.com and get a all rebuilt kit than to buy the used systems. I mean, they skyrocketed! I have seen them go for over 4 bills, not even including shipping! So I have not bought any in a while.

Rich said:
a 100cfm unit would be enough to fully feed a 1.3 L motor at 6000rpm.

Equation- engine c.i. x max rpm / 3456 * 0.7 = cfm

OK Help me out here.

360(my Jeep) X Say 5K divided by 3456 {(*0.07)<<That's the part I don't understand what to do mathmatically}

Thanks
Chip

.7 is the volumetric effiency.. (i.e. 70%)

360 * 5000 = 1800000
1800000 / 3456 = 520.83
520.83 * .7 = ~365cfm

LOL well,...... not taking anything away from Rich, but 1. it was in an issue of fourwheeler or Petersons( not sure) 2. It is the basic formula for figuring out Carb size for any engine( found this out while waiting for reply)
Also found out that some engines, due to Cam, improved aspiration, and or original design, operate at a higher volume efficency. So, the 70% wouldn't be accurate. On that same note, it is a good formula to use in most of our applications.

I know a guy running a 100 on a 22R Toy and says it runs great. It might not really,I gave him a bunch of crap when he first told me he was doing it and he might just be saying that because he doesn't want to admit he was wrong. Never know :)

bjack said:
I know a guy running a 100 on a 22R Toy and says it runs great. It might not really,I gave him a bunch of crap when he first told me he was doing it and he might just be saying that because he doesn't want to admit he was wrong. Never know :)

If you don't mind, try and find out first hand if it is working well or not. This could open up a whole new world for the four-popper group!

When he was doing it he found several guys on Pirate runnning 100's on Toy's who all said they did good, you could do a search on there and find it. The one I'm thinking of is a red 2nd truck with a tube bed. Cary from GotPropane's Suzuki kit contains a 100 mixer.

damn i dont need another toy but that one is tempting!!!

doing the math, it seems like a toyota would need ~180 cfm (give or take) according to that equation... how are they getting by with 100? not revving very high? i know with my first gen yota that i used to have, it would turn 7000+ rpm (stock motor.... i think God must have had a hand in building that thing) and theres no way 100 cfm would have fed that many revs

upnover said:
1. it was in an issue of fourwheeler or Petersons( not sure) 2. It is the basic formula for figuring out Carb size for any engine( found this out while waiting for reply)

It was in last Dec issue of JP Mag, thanks to Kilby and (shameless plug) myself. :flipoff2:

<----- Guinea Pig w/ a zook! :D

Matt

Back