Propane tank placement

Webbinator

Question for you guys running propane in jeeps. What is the best way to mount the tanks in the rear area of a CJ7? I'm looking for what works best as far as ease of loading and unloading the tanks. Is it also best to have them to where you can reach back from the drivers seat and be able to open and close the tank valves? I was mocking up my tank holder locations today and it looks like there are a several options for how to orient them. Thanks.

BEst placement I know is top of tank forward(right behind the front seat) Bottom of tank pointed towards the rear.

With the tank positioned as you suggested, how difficult is it to hook up the supply hose? Doesn't the valve have to point down? Also do you just move the hose over to the other tank when one is empty or do you actually switch the tanks. The reason I ask is that the supply hose I have is not very flexible and seems like it would be a real pain to go from one tank over to the other. Worse case, I would just have to slide the tanks out and switch them I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Webbinator said:
With the tank positioned as you suggested, how difficult is it to hook up the supply hose? Doesn't the valve have to point down? Also do you just move the hose over to the other tank when one is empty or do you actually switch the tanks. The reason I ask is that the supply hose I have is not very flexible and seems like it would be a real pain to go from one tank over to the other. Worse case, I would just have to slide the tanks out and switch them I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Well, you leave enough room to hook up the hose. so that isn't a problem. the tank has a hole in the guard that is around the valve, fill valve and bleeder. That hole should be pointed down. Most tank straps have a pin that goes into the hole to properly position the tank for optimal fuel use. Most fuel supply hoses are stiff, but should be flexible enough to switch from one tank to the other. I would leave enough hose to be able to bend it to either side. I have two hook ups in mine. so I just shut one tank off, and open the valve in the other. I have seen it done both ways.

On another note, with it being inside, be careful of leaks. I had one that leaked so I couldn't use it( at least that's what I thought) I found that there are two rubber o-rings in the valve where you hook it up. One is a round o-ring the other is a flat o-ring. They are very inexspensive at the propane place. In an emergency you could always tanke them from one tank to another.

Back