Pros/Cons of Home HVAC

trailhugger

Human Resources
Administrator
Say the time has come to replace a system and a quote has been provided for a 4-ton condensing unit, coil, and 95% furnace, including ductwork connections, removal of the old equipment, installation of the new equipment, labor, tax, and start up: $11,000. Zoning the system would be an additional $3,500.

Which would you do and why?

It's a 60s ranch that runs N-S with the bedrooms on the north end. Living spaces don't cool like we want in the summer, bedrooms are too cool in the winter.

To clarify, the first quote is for a single stage system (probably 13.8 seer?). House is 2700 sf, 4 bedrooms.

So I assume three zones? Bedrooms, living room areas, then kitchen area? Just picturing in my head. Just assuming that you are splitting the system equally, you'd be looking at around an 8" box. Those things are like $350-$400 each. ductwork, maybe a bit extra, but not much because you gotta run air out there anyway. You are basically looking at the cost of installing two extra thermostats and some controls wiring. I just don't see $2k+ in that.

Why three instead of two zones? Living areas aren't wide open but the kitchen and dining are basically one 14' x 27' space and there's a 6' cased opening between the living and dining rooms.

Why three instead of two zones? Living areas aren't wide open but the kitchen and dining are basically one 14' x 27' space and there's a 6' cased opening between the living and dining rooms.
Just assuming, picturing what it might look like in my head. You'd definitely be ok with two zones in that case. Probably a 10" box in that case, which is only marginally more expensive. I just don't see $3500 there.

Also, if I was doing it, I'd absolutely do a VAV system. My parents have one in their house and there are no dead spots, even the room over their garage is always same as the rest of the house. Just would question that cost. I also design commercial systems, so my prices may be off, but I don't feel like they are. :lol:

Maybe a dumb question... is that an 'upgrade' that could be DIY?

Maybe a dumb question... is that an 'upgrade' that could be DIY?
I would think, but I'm honestly not sure. Most of the ones I've seen work by regulating the amount of air going in and out of the space in residential. I haven't seen any with reheat coils, so doubt there is any real electrical load. Seems like some ductwork rework and controls stuff.

Hopefully an installer can chime in. I only design them, all my stuff works on paper. I'm the guy the installers hate. :lol:

11,500 sounds good. The 3500 for the zoning sounds high, but after living in a zoned house, it's the way to go. 3500 seems like what it would cost to do it after the fact.

…. I have a handful of those in my house. They definitely helped in our case.
We have the same type of layout, long Ranch w/ the furnace/coil on one end and bedrooms on the other. Son's room is on the end corner and same problem.
I was going to try one of these, but instead we sent him off to college and just closed the door to his room, and when he's home there's no complaining bc its way better than the dorm ... so that problem solved itself for free.

Well, ok I guess that would have been cheaper than tuition

. Probably a 10" box in that case, which is only marginally more expensive. I just don't see $3500 there.

My guess is the base price is single stage, zoned price is multi. Quote doesn't specify, though.

My guess is the base price is single stage, zoned price is multi. Quote doesn't specify, though.
That would make sense. My system is multi stage and you almost have to have it with zones. A single stage would scream when only called for by one zone ha.

Different take on the same problem I installed three of these in my attic ductwork to balance/boost airflow. It definitely made a difference and the entire ranch house is just one zone. I did have to add a 24VDC RIB relay in a juction box that is controlled by the thermostat to switch the 120VAC that operates the fans (dedicated wiring) but it was worth it.

I like boosters better than VAV because it increases airflow without choking/restricting flow in other parts of the system. Most ductwork in most homes is not optimally designed for good airflow to begin with so choking it off never made sense to me.

Back