Protecting / Preserving trailer tires??

Jeffncs

As with many of you, I don’t get to use my trailer as often as I’d like. What do you do to protect your tires from dry rot?

Currently my answer is “nothing” and they’re sitting on dirt/grass. Soon my answer will be to put 2x12s under the parked tires and may also shoot the tires with a 303 protectant (UV and water).

Am I on the right track? Wasting my time and money? Should I go a different direction?

Go buy some cheap square pavers at the blowes depot Then use tire covers. When you pull out stash the covers in your trailer box or pin them between two of the pavers. It’s what I’ve done for our stock trailer that doesn’t get used super often but when I need it, it needs to be ready to roll. No issues thus far. UV from the sun will kill a set of trailer tires way faster than tread wear.
image.jpg

My $.02... quit running weak ass RADIALs on trailers!

My 30+ year old Hudson 5-ton equipment trailer had 20+ y/o BIAS Carlisle ribs (ST225/75-15?) trailer tires... current rears are 10-15 y/o & did replace the fronts before Moab in 2017 & just completed 700 mile roundtrip to WindRocks
Sits OUTSIDE 24/7/365... aside from "gross load negligence" (read: loaded way to far rearward to reduce tongue weight on 1/2-ton tow rig), no tire issues in the past 20 years :flipoff2:

Another option is to just put new tires on it every 2-3 years. People will pay stupid money for used trailer tires with good tread, and you can have the peace of mind for new ones.

I bought the trailer reasonably them did what I always do…. Completely redid the entire thing front to back. Wiring, rust converter, primer, paint, white oak deck, bias ply tires…. Now work and family are keeping from using it as much as I’d like!

As with many of you, I don’t get to use my trailer as often as I’d like. What do you do to protect your tires from dry rot?

Currently my answer is “nothing” and they’re sitting on dirt/grass. Soon my answer will be to put 2x12s under the parked tires and may also shoot the tires with a 303 protectant (UV and water).

Am I on the right track? Wasting my time and money? Should I go a different direction?
I found that taking the pressure off them by deflate them down enough so Not to break the bead and lifting them up so that they look like the air is still in the and cover them with sun reflective covers helps

Back