PTO - Old Jeeps?

SHINTON

Ok, was wondering who has experience with the PTOs on the old Jeeps, (Willys, CJ2a, etc)?

PLEASE tell me you can engage the PTO AND be in 4LOW? (In other words moving / driving and PTO turning)

If so...or if it can be 'made' to do this, there is a good chance we will be getting one for a "farm jeep!!"

This started because we had the big industrial Massey Ferguson tractor and it is a big tough to move around parts of the field, etc.

Then dad started looking for small tractors (4wd)...and he saw a "utility vehicle" from Mitsubishi that had 3 pt hitch and pto...but now we cannot find it. (It sat 2, mom thought is was "cute" which is a big factor here)

Then I stumbled across PTOs for willys with a REAR output!!! (Saw them before on front/winch) Showed dad and it would be VERY easy to make a 3 point hitch (tie into roll cage / frame)

So, thoughts, comments, etc?

usually yes... on a jeep the PTO would replace the access cover on the D-18/D20 t-case an idler gear would enguage with a gear in the t-case (pretty sure the input or idler gear) you'd pull a lever to enguage... I say input or idler gear becasue normally your in Neutral while its doing its thing, but i don't see a reason for it to NOT work while moving.. like a mower etc..

I had always thought it'd be cool to setup one to run stuff... But couldn't think of any stuff i needed to run... So id be a cool unused feature..

WE NEED PICS !!!

http://www.offroaders.com/album/shows/All-Breeds/07-2006/51Willys.html

awww.offroaders.com_album_shows_All_Breeds_07_2006_images_Img_1019.jpg

0511_03z+1948_Willys_Pickup+Winch.jpg

Sam did you know that back in the day, there was a full line of impliments that you could run off of your Jeep/tractor?
Yes the one I saw on the trail once did move in low range as the winch was working.

dad mentioned watching folks plow with one when he was a young man, but it was a 2 man job (and pto not needed in that case)..basically just replaced the mule with jeep.

There is a bazillion farm implements now for the "cub" tractors, I figure a bush hog / mower, probably a box scrape or plow/disk, dad just mentioned a wood chipper..

I am VERY excited about this...gets me access to a Jeep which is a good thing!!

Sam

Do a search on www.earlycj5.com

You have the same idea that I have had. I am in the process of turning an old Willys into a Gator type vehicle with a PTO and a three point hitch. One word of caution, It will not be cheap. These parts are few and far between and most people are proud of them. The hydrolic pump can cost upwards of $1500.00 and then need rebuilding. I do not have one yet, but am leaning toward fabricating one by stealing parts off an old tractor in the yard. Keep us posted on your progress.

I have heard you can do the same thing with a Unimog - use it like a tractor.

PTO

I have owned a couple of jeeps with pto's on them. Mike is right in the description of how it works. the vehicle move just fine. The pto speed is determined by what gear the transmission is in. The last one I had was used by the state of Florida to move grass along the roads. They pulled a pretty big bush hog with them. They must have had a couple thousand of them.

Someone please make sure this thread is kept for all time. Larry Smith admits he has owned Jeeps

Everyone makes mistakes. Wisdom is not repeating them. :flipoff2:

I had a PTO winch on my 68 when I bought it. On this particular D20 implementation, you had to put the H and L levers in Neutral in order to engage the PTO lever. Then you put the tranny in 1st or Reverse (or 2nd/3rd for speed) to work the winch. Pulled like a bull, but you couldn't have both wheels and winch working at the same time. Again, might be unique to the D20 that came on the broncos.

Basically it was a simply bolt on for the D20 case, remove the plate, stick in the pto gear unit and you were done. shifter was attached on top. With the twin stick, I had 4 levers coming through the floor (NP435, twin stick, and PTO shifter).

Shannon

Back