Putting brakes on mobile home axles

maddog411

I'm considering buying a trailer with mobile home axles. Right now it has no brakes. I haven't see the trailer in person yet so I can't tell you anything more specific than that. Does anybody know how hard/cost it would be to put brakes on both axles? Is that something I could get at Tractor Supply?

1) No you cant get them at tractor supply
2) I have been told by multiple people that redneck trailer supply in linolnton has the brakes.
3) When I went there they told me they did not and I ended up buying new axles.
4) Sorry I cant offer more help. I think Chip told me about RNTS...and I gave him my old axles when I pulled them maybe he can offer more insight

Billa Vista addressed the brake issue on a write up he did about MH axles. I think he said that he was going to remove the brake backing plate on the MH axles and weld up a plate for a regular brake set up. I have not looked at mine yet, I need to, but I was thinking of getting spindles and doing kinda what Billa Vista mentined.

i as well removed the backing plates, made new bolt on mounts and installed red-neck trailer supply's brake kit on mine

I also have mobile home axles on my trailer, and the brakes are shot. I hate the mobile home style wheels and tires with a passion, so I looked into converting them into the 8 lug style. Northern sells all of the parts to do it, but after I priced it out it was going to be pretty much the same price as just replacing the axles. I've been putting off calling around for quotes on the axles; is Redneck a good shop to deal with? I've heard of them, butdon't know anyone who has done business with them before.

Red Neck

I have bought axles and other stuff from them. I found them to be very helpfull.

From what I understand it depends on the axles you have. There is one set that you can bolt off / on a new set of brakes and it works great. Others you would have to fab.

If anyone finds a good price on 5-6k axles I am interested in them too for our trailer. (That or if someone wants to trade)

Redneck folks have a nice website but no pricing on their axle assemblies.

There are some 5-6k axles on ebay for $300ish but hard to tell what shipping will be.

Sam

I work with a guy in Spartanburg at Caolina Trailers.
They buy Dexter axles from a local whoelsaler and can get quantity discounts.

If we got a group order together I could try to save us all some money.
Thewy gave me a pair of 6k 8 lug axles a year or so back but that was right after I ordered 300k worth of trailers from them...

Well I ended up buying the trailer. It has brakes on the rear axle, and I took them apart today. The shoes are completely shot, and they are riveted on, so it would be extremly hard to just replace them. The backing plates are also welded on. What a pain in the ass this is gonna be to fix. :shaking:

Well I looked at Redneck Tractor Supply's website and the only replacement parts they sell are the magnets.

So let's see, my options are fabricating something new or selling the trailer and getting another one.

You can get replacement moble home axles, with good brakes, from a moble home mover. We just put 2 new ones under our trailer, I think it was 50 bucks an axle. While not a big fan of the hub/rim setup, the tires are like f or g rated, and for 50 bucks an axle you can just replace the whole damn thing is something goes bad.

Duane

I will be placing a Fulton (trailer parts) order around the first of May.
I am close to having enough volume to get max discount (40-90% off list depending on part)

If anyone needs any specific trailer parts, anything from lights, to tongue jacks, to tire/wheel to axle assemblies let me know (either here or through PM) and I will get a complete list and let you know prices....

Back