Question on buying vehicle in VA, title/register in NC

benmack1

Looking to understand the NC inspection requirements if I buy a used vehicle from Virginia. Is an NC safety inspection due before i can get a plate or can I get a plate without an inspection. Just creates a logistics PITA if it needs an inspection before I can get a plate. The wording seems to suggest its not needed until the plate is renewed the first time but I want to be sure.

The NCDMV They will tell you. When you go to the NC DMV with paperwork for title transfer you'll get the rundown.

A bill of sale and the signed title will be fine if a cop pulls you over. Just make sure you put insurance on it if you're gonna be on the road with it. that can be done without a plate.

No inspection required at first registration from out of state. Renewal at end of first year requires inspection.

No inspection required at first registration from out of state. Renewal at end of first year requires inspection.
Perfect. That was how I read it but appreciate the confirmation. Now to go spend some money on a dump truck to piss off my wife.

I guess it has to do with age of vehicle. Older stuff has to be inspected at license and theft regardless. I just went thru it from VA with a 71 chevy.

My 94 Class C did not need an inspection. Bought in VA with a VA title. Just went to the tag office with title and proof of insurance, they did all the paperwork there and gave me a tag.

My dump truck had a wv title, I was required to have it inspected by license and theft officer before they issued me a title

Yea...its not black and white...thats why I said the NC DMV office will tell you what you have to do when you go to get a NC Title.

It varies based on GVWR, what state it came from, age, and other factors.

The DMV will aslso give you a 10 day temp permit for road use before any inspections if you have to drive it and want to be 100% legal.

If it's over 30 years old and from out of state it has to be inspected before a title and tag will be issued. Does anyone have anymore insight on this process? Bought another C50 with widow maker split rims and want to make sure it'll pass.

The DMV will aslso give you a 10 day temp permit for road use before any inspections if you have to drive it and want to be 100% legal.
Not the case entirely. Only vehicles requiring inspection can get the 10 day temp plate. Just went through that with my bronco. Wanted a temp tag to drive it a few days for shake down. This way if anything major happened, I wasn't wasting money on a tag. Tag office told me the 10 day tag only apply to vehicles needing inspection, so I had to get a full plate.

I bought a truck back in November 2022 that was registered in VA. It was the easiest purchase I have ever made.

The VA title doesn’t require a notary and didn’t have a place for a notary. Both parties just signed in the designated areas.

I went to a DMV here and have them the title and proof of insurance. They issued me a tag and everything. No inspection required until next year.

I bought a truck back in November 2022 that was registered in VA. It was the easiest purchase I have ever made.

The VA title doesn’t require a notary and didn’t have a place for a notary. Both parties just signed in the designated areas.

I went to a DMV here and have them the title and proof of insurance. They issued me a tag and everything. No inspection required until next year.
I did this like 10 years ago when I bought my WJ from a friend in VA. Guilford county rolled over the valid inspection from VA and had tags that day.

If it's over 30 years old and from out of state it has to be inspected before a title and tag will be issued. Does anyone have anymore insight on this process? Bought another C50 with widow maker split rims and want to make sure it'll pass.
I’ve been through this twice with a 68 Plymouth and 73 Vette. Both times it was a non event. spent more time talking about cars and my plans for them than any inspection. I had to take them both to my local HP office for inspection but this was about 6 yrs ago. Now, at least For my county, they come to your house. My buddy who lives two doors down had to do this recently For two of his cars from NJ. Guy spent more time telling us Mt Island Lake fishing stories than inspecting

all in all they are looking for obvious signs of fraud / sketchy a$$ vehicles than anything else IMHO

Iall in all they are looking for obvious signs of fraud / sketchy a$$ vehicles than anything else IMHO
This^^^
It's not a safety inspection, just to confirm the vehicle has a legit matching vin.

But, in my area, they said it could be inspected same day if i brought it to them. It would take several months if they came to me.
I still had to wait 3 months for my title to come after inspection.

I bought my ‘86 F350 from VA last year. No inspection. Title arrived to my house in regular time. It’s well beyond 30 years old.

Back