Question on trailer size, need guidance

@jeepinmatt broke it down pretty good in the other thread, and tag prices have gone up since then. I have a different tow rig than now, but my comments then came to fruition anyway. I run a 13k tag, and I look at it from the POV that the ticket will probably be cheaper than the price difference of the tag. The more years I get away with it, the better the deal works in my favor.

Duane
I have the same train of thought as you on ticket costs and tag savings.

I have just enough weight on my tag for it to say weighted... My theory is that if I'm pulling a trailer and cop sees regular tags I'm getting pulled. He sees weighted tags, I'm probably not getting pulled unless I'm doing something else wrong.

This is an 03 2500hd duramax ext cab sb 4wd LS trim. No boxes or tank. Pretty much stock. I’m sure the info I have is probably wrong. I was figuring 6k based on the specs I found online. So I’ll add 1k to be safe. Think I like the go for 13k and hope to never exceed it. I’ll know more when I can get the info.

I just did some digging and my 03 Duramax CCSB 4x4 was 7300lbs. All stock, no aux fuel tank, small crossover toolbox with probably 200lbs of stuff in it.

Figure an excab is probably 100-200lbs lighter.

Good lord...that's hefty.

My 15 Ram Mega Cab is north of 8k. I know a 13k tag isn't enough for when I tow, but the damn price jump past 13k hurts.

Duane
Agreed. Anyone know why the rates change the way they do other than “we said so”? I’d understand if there was an equal jump between weight/prices but all over like they have it doesn’t make sense. Not that govts logic make sense to anyone but them.

I think it might be one of those weigh the cost of the overage ticket vs the cost of the registration.

Reason I've heard is that heavier vehicles cause more wear and tear to roads, so they should pay more to maintain them. But my reply to that is Karen's mommymobile that puts 30k miles a year on the road causes more wear and tear than my 2k miles a year towing and 8k regular driving. But yes, it's mainly because they can.

Duane

Reason I've heard is that heavier vehicles cause more wear and tear to roads, so they should pay more to maintain them. But my reply to that is Karen's mommymobile that puts 30k miles a year on the road causes more wear and tear than my 2k miles a year towing and 8k regular driving. But yes, it's mainly because they can.

Duane
I initially thought this would be the reason, but after looking at the chart it doesn’t make sense. If that were true you wouldn’t have a big jump between 13k and 14k and then a smaller jump between 14k and 15k or any of them that are like this example. I get that the heavier does more wear and tear…kind of.

I agree that a few trips with a heavy load is way less wear and tear on the roads than the big suvs that are putting tons of miles on.

I’m just saying that that jumps between them should be consistently rising with the consistently rising weight. Not a big jump here for some reason and a little jump there. If NC structured it correctly then more people would just get the tag they need instead of trying to avoid being fleeced.

It sounds like you understand the math, but not the reasoning. First day dealing with the government? :laughing:

There is a big jump between 13k and 14k because the rate changes from 1.30 to 2.02 in addition to the increase of 1k lbs. The cost difference between 14k and 15k is only the weight difference of 1k at the 2.02. Now as to why they chose to use 13k as the break-it-off-in-your-ass number, and to why it isn't a set rate change every time it changes, well go fish. That's government for you.

Duane

My point was more that his truck, stock, weighed as much as mine does after the solid axle and 62 gallon replacement tank, full of fuel. I know some things changed from 02 to 03, but damn!

Yall aint telling me nothing about expensive plates. I carry 24k tags and I've got to get my truck inspected and get tags this week. 563 bucks.

But when I was loaded with the excavator, I was 23,500. With an 8k tag like I used to have, that'd be a 1600-ish dollar ticket!

I'd love to have farm tags. They're half the cost of regular weighted tags.

It sounds like you understand the math, but not the reasoning. First day dealing with the government? :laughing:

There is a big jump between 13k and 14k because the rate changes from 1.30 to 2.02 in addition to the increase of 1k lbs. The cost difference between 14k and 15k is only the weight difference of 1k at the 2.02. Now as to why they chose to use 13k as the break-it-off-in-your-ass number, and to why it isn't a set rate change every time it changes, well go fish. That's government for you.

Duane
See lobbyist and break points for true consumer vehicle vs commercial

Duane
Actually I worked for 20+ years in govt. lol I understand how stupid it is…I got the math, I don’t get why there is a rate change at all. Make it even steps and be fair about it. I know…it’s the govt. I thought NC was better than this having come from the Midwest but apparently I was mistaken.

Actually I worked for 20+ years in govt. lol I understand how stupid it is…I got the math, I don’t get why there is a rate change at all. Make it even steps and be fair about it. I know…it’s the govt. I thought NC was better than this having come from the Midwest but apparently I was mistaken.
Well the damage caused isn’t linear with regards to weight it would trend more towards exponential.

Then at certain weights are you more likely to be hauling a trailer which is essentially two wears per use.

Where this argument breaks down though is larger vehicles already use more fuel and collect more use tax.

it would trend more towards exponential.

More fuel, more tax, higher cost of plates...so yes, exponential extortion from the good ol' state of NC :D

Dmv fought be on that one, when i moved. But i said i still manage/ lease plenty of land they said OK. I don't currently own over 10 acres, doesn't mean my truck does see 90% of its miles in farm duty.

I also stopped at 13k seem silly the rate goes up. the amount of miles i actually exceed it catch me i guess, at least it looks like i tried.

My point was more that his truck, stock, weighed as much as mine does after the solid axle and 62 gallon replacement tank, full of fuel. I know some things changed from 02 to 03, but damn!

Yall aint telling me nothing about expensive plates. I carry 24k tags and I've got to get my truck inspected and get tags this week. 563 bucks.

But when I was loaded with the excavator, I was 23,500. With an 8k tag like I used to have, that'd be a 1600-ish dollar ticket!

You could be like half of the folks with a farm tag and just dd it. I'm willing to wager that very few are farm use.

Get this... I saw a new Escalade(suburban) with a weighted farm tag on my way home from the coast after Thanksgiving. Had to be one of the stupidest things I've seen.

Right?! SUVs don't even need a weighted tag!

You could be like half of the folks with a farm tag and just dd it. I'm willing to wager that very few are farm use.

Get this... I saw a new Escalade(suburban) with a weighted farm tag on my way home from the coast after Thanksgiving. Had to be one of the stupidest things I've seen.

C’mon now. Farm marm needs to be able to write it off with all those runs to the feed store and to bring the boys lunches during planting and harvest.

Tagged at 22k here. That plate is a painful renewal.
My trailer is a rare :rolleyes: 9900# rated one with a pair of 8 lug axles. Must be light duty 8 luggers to only have a 6 lug rating...
Because it were 14-15k rated plus the last 2 one tons I've used to drag it with, I would be nearing that elusive 26,001 club.

Contacted Hudson Brothers 18 years ago to ask about the current 6-lug axles under my 5-ton equipment trailer... originally was mobile home style, but converted by PO for brakes when they stopped hauling it with huge dumptruck and began pulling it with pickups.
He said "Oh, that means your GVWR has increased to (something over 10,001#). Want me to send you an updated VIN tag for that weight?" 🤔

"Uh, thank you and yes to the new VIN plate, but NO... 10k# even will be just fine!" 😉

Back