radiator repair

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
I have 2 fairly new all metal XJ radiators that have a pinhole leak from fan hub contact. What are my options for fixing these?
Radiator repair shops in Greensboro-Winston area?
Can I cut/fold/crimp the 1 damaged tubes?

Use the radiator/fuel tank repair putty stuff? I fixed the fuel tank on my Bronco using that stuff.

I usually cut, fold, crime then solder the affected tubes. Use the acid flux solder from advance or lowes, not the rosin core electric stuff.

Best radiator place I know of in/near the triad is Walt's in downtown Lexington

I usually cut, fold, crime then solder the affected tubes. Use the acid flux solder from advance or lowes, not the rosin core electric stuff.

X2 I have also seen jb weld used but not sure I'd trust that.

i have about ten holes ive soldered in my cj, and havent had any issues. I dont know if id crimp it though as that would stop flow through that tube. Just clean really good and like said use acid core solder.

We put JB Weld on a yota radiator and beat on it the rest of the weekend with no problems. AFIK it is still holding very well almost a year later.

Best trail fix story of my life was an Aussie friend stuffed a half of a potato into a POURING leaky radiator at URE in a buddy's truck in which I spit a rock out into. I felt so bad as it was and willing to tow him home. But dude drove it not only home to Charlotte but around town for 2 days just to try it out.
Wouldn't recommend for a perm. fix, just a good story. A potato goes with me on my trail rides now.:D

Tony we send all our radiators to king radiator in king. We have not found anyone in Greensboro that is very good. It it is a aluminum radiator they will use an epoxy to fix it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tony we send all our radiators to king radiator in king.

While he's fixed a couple fuel tanks for me and does decent work... 1 tanks leaking *AT* his repair and I could've bought the other new for what he charged for boiling it out & welding in a bung.

If you want old school, no BS radiator repair, Gordon's Radiator (in the "re-militarized zone" of W-S near Sprague/Waughtown :eek: ). If they're beyond repair, the old man will tell you straight up without charging you to band-aid a POS that'll blow in a week.

Best trail fix story of my life was an Aussie friend stuffed a half of a potato into a POURING leaky radiator at URE in a buddy's truck in which I spit a rock out into. I felt so bad as it was and willing to tow him home. But dude drove it not only home to Charlotte but around town for 2 days just to try it out.
Wouldn't recommend for a perm. fix, just a good story. A potato goes with me on my trail rides now.:D
I was there, sceptical as always....worked great.
(X2) on Walt's in Lexington.....

Back