RC Crawler for kids 2021?

jeepinmatt

..l.
Motor #5 of 6 just died on yellow JLU. Gladiator (motor death #4) now has the Injora 50T Pro in it. Easy install with a little trimming and patience dealing with 1mm allen wrench for about a dozen screws. It's about 10-15% slower top speed, but way more torque, especially down at lower rpms, which makes for better control.
20220620_175711.jpg
20220620_175721.jpg
20220620_175859.jpg
20220620_175912.jpg
20220621_191540.jpg
20220621_191548.jpg

I'm really not impressed with the stock motors, but everything else is performing great and holding up ok (so far). To be fair to the stock motors, then are mostly run on 1000mah 35c batteries instead of the stock 350mah 30c. But 2s with the same voltage, and they are never getting hot.

Tacoma747

Jeez you have had really bad luck. That or you just suck at driving 🤣

Were the burnt motors mostly your kids driving, or you? 1000mah battery seems it would add a bunch of weight up high. I think the first one I had burn up was likely from my 3 year old driving it and not letting off the throttle when she ran into stuff. I pound it in my boys heads to try not 'stall' them out.

NCJeeplover

What I'm reading is that the SCX24s are huge pieces of shit.... Unless you're willing to spend the purchase price over again to replace all the crappy parts. Sound about right?
This is the reason I've been kicking around building one from scratch instead of buying one and modding it. You can piece together a pretty badass one without any axial stuff.
dealing with 1mm allen wrench for about a dozen screws
This is my biggest complaint with the scx24. My damn gorilla fingers have a hard time working on them. I picked up these and it made it a little easier, but it still sucks.

LBarr2002

Were the burnt motors mostly your kids driving, or you? 1000mah battery seems it would add a bunch of weight up high. I think the first one I had burn up was likely from my 3 year old driving it and not letting off the throttle when she ran into stuff. I pound it in my boys heads to try not 'stall' them out.

I blame it on the kids' driving style. On off on off on off wide open throttle to stop, little tiny brushes. The one my son mainly drives killed 2 motors before the first one died in the other one.

This is my biggest complaint with the scx24. My damn gorilla fingers have a hard time working on them. I picked up these and it made it a little easier, but it still sucks.

I appreciate that almost every screw is the same size though. The only thing I've found that's different is the motor plate screws. Not like working on an SCX10 where there are 3 different sizes.

jeepinmatt

..l.

Bad luck, and I suck at driving? :D

Like I said:
I can't attribute the failures to driving style. I probably drive them the hardest in the manner they are supposed to be driven, my oldest is very careful, and my youngest is a 3 year old so he stalls it and drops it and runs into things at full throttle.
I definitely make mine output torque a lot, but in appropriate manner. Mine was the first to die.
The 7y/o is a cautious, careful driver. He tries to use finesse, and is pretty easy on it. His was the second to die.
The 3y/o is balls to the wall. Wide open into a wall, spin til it makes funny noises, back up, repeat. His was the third to die. Then his replacement died almost right outta the box, so nothing to do with driving there. My second one died within exactly 1 week. My first one also lasted almost exactly 1 week, but that first week was probably 4-6hrs/day of usage in a sandy, salty environment, whereas the 2nd one was maybe 2-3hrs/day. We will see how long the motor lasts on the 7y/o's second one, and how long the Injora holds up for the 3y/o (I quickly realized the extra torque will probably now lead to the destruction of other driveline components :().

Tacoma747

I just scored three trucks today, one for my nephew (he is paying for it), one to keep (mainly as spares parts) and one to sell (below). So if anyone wants a brand new SCX24 (deadbolt) for $100 shipped let me know. The one catch is it has a (also new) FMS transmitter/ESC (previous owner had tried to waterproof the Axial ESC and messed it up). I have tested it and it functions perfectly.

jeepinmatt

..l.
A 2 speed 1/24 scale crawler with portals just came out. $150 RTR. I assume it will be rough around the edges compared to the Axials, but 2 speed sounds fantastic.

And if you want to see a train wreck, read the FULL page about it on FMS's clearly Chinese based website :laughing:

Pless

A 2 speed 1/24 scale crawler with portals just came out. $150 RTR. I assume it will be rough around the edges compared to the Axials, but 2 speed sounds fantastic.

And if you want to see a train wreck, read the FULL page about it on FMS's clearly Chinese based website :laughing:
Yep, I had to just order one of those. I have a soft spot for power wagons.